How can we count the Hidden and Visible comments in Selection?

leonlai

Board Regular
Hi,

We can Show or Hide a comment using the Excel Menu.

Suppose I select a range on my Excel sheet. Say, there are 5 comments in that range: 4 of them are visible (Show comments) and 1 is hidden (Hide comments).

How can we write a VBA macro that will count the number of visible comments, and also the number of hidden comments?

What I am trying to do:

If there are more visible comments than hidden comments in the Selection, the macro will Hide them all.

If there are more (= or >) hidden comments in the Selection, the macro will Show them all.

So, my macro button will act as a toggle button, but what it will do depends on which type of comment is more numerous:

• If most or all comments are visible, hide them all.
  • If most or all comments are hidden, show them all.

This will avoid the inconvenience of sometimes having to click the button twice to say, show all comments.

Thanks
Leon

I see your still working with comments. Remember me? I helped you about two weeks ago putting all your comments in a TextBox.

Are you still using that or have you decided on some other way of doing things?
Just curious.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi, My Aswer Is This

How do you do?

Yes, I am still working on a few menus in comments (they are the last ones!). I agree I am a bit slow. I am not a programmer, but an accountant! :)

I have taken good note of all your very helpful suggestions, and am implementing them in my project.

I am still sticking on my way of doing things, namely getting all the VBA codes first (because this approach is easier), then translating them to VB. NET code and Add-In Express, using Visual Studio.

I am doing a big company-wide project, and I am working very hard to make it a success.

Best Regards,
Leon

PS:
My next topics will probably be on making connection with SQL Server using ADO.NET, using Excel VBA
I know a little about this, but probably will need forum help to get professional solutions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back