How to detect amount of changes in cell?‏

defy

Hi All,

I need a macro which quietly counts changes made to a cell and stores them even after the workbook is closed.
If the cell has been modified more then say 5 times in one day it is highlighted yellow more then 10 highlighted red. Then i need week counts and month counts (years maybe later), hence the ability to store and add amount of changes.

Any ideas? I so far got this much:

Code:

Static AncAdress As String, AncCell As Variant
If AncAdress <> "" Then 'for first initialization.
If AncCell <> Range(AncAdress) Then

'this detectes that the sell has been changed so i need something here to count amount of changes to which cell)

Stop
End If
End If
AncAdress = Target.Address
AncCell = Target.Value2
End Sub

I was thinking of creating a new list called COUNTING. Say in my DATA list i changed the value of cell A2 from bob to 2. So in my COUNTING list A2 will have a value "today = 1". Hence if i decide to change its value later on in the month it will be "month = 2". also if it is shifted in DATA i.e. moved to a different location then it need to be tracked and moved in COUNTING (basically value mapping).
has any
smile.gif

So any ideas? I'm also open to suggestions if any ^^

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi defy, welcome to the board!

Here's one option that might work for you. I created a new sheet called Counters, shown below. I then added a worksheet change event macro that runs whenever cell A2 of Sheet1 is changed. The macro looks at the current day/week/month/year compared to the last time the cell was changed. If the same, the counter gets increased by 1. If not the same, the counter is reset to 1. You can hide (with xlveryhidden if desired) the Counters sheet. As far as cell color, this can be done with conditional formatting.

Still, your post left me with several questions. What color do you want when the day count is less than 5 but the week count is a high number? What color should the cell be when the file is opened for the first time in a day? Do you want to save the prior day/week/month/year counts?

Here's my Counters sheet:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1EventCurrentCountingCountcurrent valuelast change
2Day12/18/201012/18/2010161012/18/2010 23:19
3Week515119
4Month121215
5Year201020109
Counters

Code in Sheet1 or the sheet that has the monitored cell. Modify the target address as necessary:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

If Target.Address = "$A$2" Then

Dim CountSht As Worksheet
Set CountSht = Worksheets("Counters")

'check if cell actually changed
    If CountSht.Range("E2") = Range("A2") Then
        Exit Sub
    Else
        CountSht.Range("E2") = Range("A2")
        CountSht.Range("F2") = Now()
    End If

'count day events
    If CountSht.Range("C2") = CountSht.Range("B2") Then
        CountSht.Range("D2") = CountSht.Range("D2") + 1
    Else
        CountSht.Range("C2") = CountSht.Range("B2")
        CountSht.Range("D2") = 1
    End If

'count week events
    If CountSht.Range("C3") = CountSht.Range("B3") Then
        CountSht.Range("D3") = CountSht.Range("D3") + 1
    Else
        CountSht.Range("C3") = CountSht.Range("B3")
        CountSht.Range("D3") = 1
    End If

'count month events
    If CountSht.Range("C4") = CountSht.Range("B4") Then
        CountSht.Range("D4") = CountSht.Range("D4") + 1
    Else
        CountSht.Range("C4") = CountSht.Range("B4")
        CountSht.Range("D4") = 1
    End If

'count year events
    If CountSht.Range("C5") = CountSht.Range("B5") Then
        CountSht.Range("D5") = CountSht.Range("D5") + 1
    Else
        CountSht.Range("C5") = CountSht.Range("B5")
        CountSht.Range("D5") = 1
    End If

End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry mate, i must have confused you very badly.. still your code is giving me some food for thought. (Thank you!)

Ill give you a visioal example of what im trying to do :)

Say i have 100 pens, 200 pencils, 300 rulers...

They all get taken on a daily basis, I want to create a data sheet that if for example my outflow of pens is very high per day, then i want it to be highlighted.

Also i want see how much material is being given out per week, per month so i would know how much of what i need to purchase to keep my stock on a safe level i.e. i wont be runing out pf materials all of a sudden :)

So i need to check how much of that particular material is being withdrawn + if it is being whithdrawn in batches i.e. is there a pen with drawn once a day 5 pens once a day etc., i hope this clarifies it slightly?

Let me know if you need any more info...

Again i just came with this today so it all up in the air :)

P.S. its a change tracking system

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, that is a bit different. You mention counting changes made to a cell. What is in the cell to start with and what is the change made to it?

Upvote 0
To start with there are numbers, but the location of the cell is unknown. it is detected by change event.

In a1 we have pencil in b1 we have 100. Some one requested (outflow) 10 pencils.
b1 is now changed to 90.

Tracking list should say in b1 " 20-dec-2010: 5"
Then lets say we have another list called tracking over all so:
A1: December 2010
A2: pencil b2: 10
A3: pen b2: 0
etc.

At the end the will be:
Axx: Total for 2010
Axx: pencil Bxx:5
etc

the 2 lists should automatically update with each with drawl, and go into 2011 and 2012 on auto.

Also if there was a material return or purchase (inflow), so some one put 25 pencils in. that is to be recorded separately. This can be done by subtracting the the new value from previous value and checking if it negative. if -ve then update the inflow sheet in similar manner.

This is kinda growing slowly as i get new ideas coming. There more i think about this code the more problems I'm seeing :D
The inflow list i came up with just as i was typing this :)

Let me know if i can clarify it any more :P

Upvote 0
Ok, it sounds like you need to figure out what information you want to collect and how you will use it. Then you can design an input and reporting screen. I did a quick Google search for Inventory Management on this board, there are many examples, including ideas for using a form as the input for the user. I'd suggest browsing through these for some ideas.

Regarding your post, you say that the location of the cell is unknown. I'm guessing you mean the input cell where the current inventory is stored, but then you describe how the user changes cell A2. Below is what I think you are describing, but I don't know if this output gives you the ability to analyze consumption in the way you describe.

Input sheet:

Excel Workbook
AB
1Pencils250
2Pens125
3Rulers100
Sheet1

Report sheet:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGH
1Pencils
2DayQtyWeekQtyMonthQtyYearQty
311/28/20101011/28/201051Nov-10322010101
411/30/20102212/5/201040Dec-1069
512/1/20101512/12/201010
612/2/20104
712/5/201030
812/6/20102
912/10/20108
1012/15/201010
Sheet2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back