How to hide "Divide by Zero" #DIV/0! error

zombiemaster

Board Regular
Hi, everyone...I'm here with another hopefully easy question!

Management has given me a pre-existing report and wants me to improve it. One of the improvements they are asking for is with a yearly formula that takes a number from a month last year and compares it to a number from the same month this year and give a percentage as the result. What they DON'T LIKE is when last year's number is ZERO, the formula is giving the #DIV/0! error, and they want it to just be a blank-looking cell instead of that "ugly" error.

The formula I'm working with is very basic:

=(H9/G9)-1

Is there a way to "hide" a formula result from view if it's giving that error? I tried conditional formatting with no luck (I hate Conditional Formatting since they changed it from Office2007, which was SO much easier INHO). I also tried something like this, thinking it would work but it didn't:

=IF(H9>0.9,(H9/G9)-1," ")

I know there's a simple solution here, so someone here will get my undying gratitude for something easy. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!
~ZM~

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
With conditional formatting, you'd change the font to background color. Otherwise an iferror formula can return "".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks philwojo - I'm not familiar with ISERROR but whatever it is, it's working! :)

Sheetspread - that's what I thought to do as well, is change the font to the same color as the fill, but for some reason it didn't work (again, I liked 2007 much better).

Thanks to you both for the quick responses, I truly appreciate it and I'm sure to get a HUGE RAISE because of those errors being gone! (note the sarcasm there, of course)

Thank you!!
:cool:
~ZM~

Upvote 0
I have this macro which I keep in personal.xlb that I run to wrap the "iferror" fiunction around whichever formular is causing the problem.

Code:
Sub addiferror()cform = ActiveCell.Formula
cform2 = Mid(cform, 2)
cform3 = "=iferror(" & cform2 & ",0)"

ActiveCell.Formula = cform3
End Sub

Upvote 0
Spoke too soon, and I'm still struggling it seems. Maybe it would help if I showed you what I'm seeing, but I dont' know how to insert a screenshot here. :(

Here's a rough indication:

2017.....2018.....% Change
.....3..........0..........-100%
.....0..........2..........#DIV/0!

When I use =iserror(H9/G9)-1 in the third column, the #DIV/0! changes to 0.0% which is what I was hoping for. So I carried that formula through to the rest of my sheet but now when I have non-zero figures in column G, it's not calculating correctly:

2017.....2018.....% Change
.....4..........9..........-100%

That 100% should be 125% but it's not. What am I missing?

Thanks as always,
~ZM~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back