How to hide "Divide by Zero" #DIV/0! error

zombiemaster

Board Regular
Hi, everyone...I'm here with another hopefully easy question!

Management has given me a pre-existing report and wants me to improve it. One of the improvements they are asking for is with a yearly formula that takes a number from a month last year and compares it to a number from the same month this year and give a percentage as the result. What they DON'T LIKE is when last year's number is ZERO, the formula is giving the #DIV/0! error, and they want it to just be a blank-looking cell instead of that "ugly" error.

The formula I'm working with is very basic:

=(H9/G9)-1

Is there a way to "hide" a formula result from view if it's giving that error? I tried conditional formatting with no luck (I hate Conditional Formatting since they changed it from Office2007, which was SO much easier INHO). I also tried something like this, thinking it would work but it didn't:

=IF(H9>0.9,(H9/G9)-1," ")

I know there's a simple solution here, so someone here will get my undying gratitude for something easy. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!
~ZM~

philwojo and Jonmo1 - I tried both of your suggestions, but it's still not calculating correctly if there's a zero in column G and a real number in column H. Both of those formulas come back as 0.0%.

~ZM~

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
That is what it should do, you can't divide by zero.

So if you have a zero in column-G you said you wanted to show 0.0%, so that is what both our formulas did for you.

If you don't use our formulas it will go back to the divide by zero error.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for that info and that was totally my bad. I wish I had been awake enough to realize that was exactly what it was doing! Feeling like an idiot here...

So is there a way for it to show as an empty or blank cell if it's the result is 0.0%? I don't want the managers to get confused with a zero % in there...

~ZM~

Upvote 0
Sure, change the result of the formula from 0 to ""

=IFERROR(H9/G9-1,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jonmo1's one will work or you could update mine to change the zero to the "" as well, both formulas will do the same thing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back