How to list Unique values from multiple tables for PowerPivot (to avoid many to many relationship)?

Kamolga

Hi,

I have a maintenance log tool with 3 major tables (preventive, backlog and troobleshoots).

Their columns are quite similar:

Reference/Type/Machine/category/subcategory/Task/Week/Technician/ Time spent (number I wish to sum in a pivot)

but not completely.

I need to analyse those and PowerPivot refuse to link category for example as it is a "many to many" relationship (the 3 columns of "category" do have duplicates and none has them all), which means to me I need a list "category" with unique values without duplicate.
I already have it for Type, Machine and technician thanks to a dropdown list input but not the other ones

A heavy option is to create a table and a macro would copy-paste all the reference one below another and delete blanks duplicates, then category, subcategory, task (thousands). I can then add this to my datamodel and do the pivot I am dreaming of.

As most columns are dynamic (I mean we add unique values from time to time), I need to rerun all the "copy-paste remove duplicate macro's" on each refresh of the pivot and I need to take all filters out before copying, which is a bit annoying.

I have the feeling I overcomplicate it but can't find an easy way to analyse the 3 logs.
How would you keep those updated lists? Or is there any better way to overcome this?

Thank you in advance for any input

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back