How to Reduce Filtered Results in Pivot Table??

clayjm

I feel like this should be an automatic feature in a pivot table. If I'm viewing a normal table of data with a filter, the results are reduced based on filter for other fields. See the simple example below.

Z

If I filter on the month of Jan, and then click on then click on the drop down for SalesRep, I'm only given the three names that apply to that month as an option:

Z

9k=

As you can see, "Sam" is not an option because the name does not exist for Jan. However, if I use a pivot table based on the original data, the pivot table will show all the names, even when filtered just on Jan.

Z

As you can see in the pivot table above, Sam still shows even though the name doesn't even appear in the data set that I'm filtered on. Is there a way to change the Pivot Table setting to reduce the available options based on the data that exists on the filtered view like it does in a standard table filter? Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
(Sorry, the images are not working for me… not sure how to attach screenshots. Here is the table example)

I feel like this should be an automatic feature in a pivot table. If I'm viewing a normal table of data with a filter, the results are reduced based on filter for other fields. See the simple example below.

MonthSalesRep Sales
JanBob $ 500.00
FebBob $ 300.00
JanSue $ 200.00
FebSue $ 400.00
MarSue $ 700.00
JanFred $ 100.00
MarFred $ 500.00
MarSam $ 600.00

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

If I filter on the month of Jan, and then click on then click on the drop down for SalesRep, I'm only given the three names that apply to that month as an option:

As you can see, "Sam" is not an option because the name does not exist for Jan. However, if I use a pivot table based on the original data, the pivot table will show all the names, even when filtered just on Jan.

As you can see in the pivot table, Sam still shows even though the name doesn't even appear in the data set that I'm filtered on. Is there a way to change the Pivot Table setting to reduce the available options based on the data that exists on the filtered view like it does in a standard table filter? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back