How to set cell A1 to pull from Cell B1 but then remain static even if B1 changes?

ShawnLerner

My company creates an ID for each product based on certain attributes of the product (size, colour, etc). The problem is I need to make it such that if those attributes change the ID must not update. Is there any way to say run this formula once but do not update?

Currently I just cut the ID cell then paste it back in as a value instead of formula. This is a very inelegant solution and it is easy to forget to do.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
If you want anything automated, you would need to use VBA.
We would need to know more details, such as:
- What the formula is
- Where the formula resides
- When the ID is created

Rather than have a formula, I think we would want VBA to create the ID (using the same value), and paste the value in the cell so that it never changes.
We just need to determine how/at what point this should all happen (maybe once the needed attributes for that row are completed?).
So we need more details from you on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ratish52

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...