How to set default text box properties (object positioning)

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
365, 2016, 2007
Platform
Windows
I almost always want text boxes to keep their size and location regardless of what happens with the surrounding cells. So I end up manually right-clicking the border, selecting Size and Properties, clicking Properties, and clicking Don't move or size with cells.

This page says that I can set the default properties by right-clicking the border and selecting Set as Default Text Box.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...text-box-9eae1b82-f2b8-44d2-9c54-b06d28e581ce

This doesn't work on my system.

Is there a way I can get new text boxes to have this setting?

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

goesr

Hi JenniferMurphy - Although this isn't exactly what you asked, you might think of trying something like the simple code below which selects all objects and makes them FreeFloating. Hope this helps get things started.

Code:
Sub JenniferMurphy_FreeFloatingObjects()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.SelectAll
    Selection.Placement = xlFreeFloating
End Sub

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
365, 2016, 2007
Platform
Windows
Hi JenniferMurphy - Although this isn't exactly what you asked, you might think of trying something like the simple code below which selects all objects and makes them FreeFloating. Hope this helps get things started.

Code:
Sub JenniferMurphy_FreeFloatingObjects()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.SelectAll
    Selection.Placement = xlFreeFloating
End Sub
Interesting. A couple of questions:

What shapes does this affect other than text boxes?

How to I invoke it? Do I assign it to a keyboard shortcut and run it manually on each sheet? Do I set up so it runs when each sheet is activated? (I'm not sure how to do that.)

I take it that there is no way to set the default so that all new text boxes have this setting.

goesr

Hi JenniferMurphy - This macro will affect ALL SHAPES on the Active Sheet. I can be invoked the same way any macro is run and could be assigned to a keyboard shortcut or even made to run automatically when a spreadsheet is opened.

I do not know any way to set the Default for Text Boxes as you requested, that is why I suggested possibly a work around. I would be glad to help you if you need some assistance in making the macro work. Good luck.

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Jennifer

When you set a default textbox it's only default formatting, e.g. fill colour, font etc, that are set, not a property like Don't move or size with cells.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvince

This Week's Hot Topics

• Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop
    Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop I have tried this below code but i'm getting in Y column filled with W005. Colud you please...
  • MsgBox Error
    Hi Guys, I have the below error show up when i try and run my macro in File1 but works fine if i copy and paste the same code into file2. [ATTACH...
  • CELL FORMAT - IF CONDITION
    My Cell Format is [B]""0.00" Cr". [/B]But in the cell, it is showing 123.00 for editing. (123 is entry figure). (Data imported from other...
  • Show numbers nearly the same
    Is this possible. I have a number that can change very time eg 0.00001234 Then I have a lot of numbers 0.0000001, 0.0000002, 0.00000004...
  • Please i need your help to create formula
    I need a formula in cell B8 to do this >>if b1=1 then multiply ( cell b8) by 10% ,if b1=2 multiply by 20%,if=3 multiply by 30%. Thank you in...
  • Got error while adding column and filter
    Got error while adding column and filter In column Z has some like "Success" and "Error". I want to add column in AA if the Z cell value is...