I am creating a intricate ingredient counter to help with grocery provisioning.

AcousticBruce

Here is how it will work...

I create a bunch of meals in separate files; A few called "Roasted Tomato Bisque", "Spicy Gazpacho", "Greek Pastitcio", and many more.

I will have a excel file called "foodWeek" that is a basic calendar of the week and each day will have a drop down menu.
In this drop down menu I want it to have a list of all the files in a specific folder, such as: breakfast, lunch or dinner. Lets say I pick the lunch drop down menu, I would want "Roasted Tomato Bisque", "Spicy Gazpacho", "Greek Pastitcio", and many more to show up in the drop down.

+++How can I make a drop down list that displays files in a specific folder??

Also, I have a ingredients tab within "foodWeek" that calculates all the ingredients for the entire week. This page would have: vegetables, dairy, fruit, fresh ingredients, bread, dry, and other cells that list all the ingredients extracted from the specific files picked throughout the week.

++++So how would I have this tab search the "foodWeek" tab and extract information from the files picked in each day of the week"

So let me make this simple...

On the monday, tuesday and wednesday cell drop downs I pick these files: "Roasted Tomato Bisque", "Greek Pastitcio", and "Spicy Gazpacho". When I click on the "ingredients tab" I want to see that it extracted data from these specific files and listed the ingredients out and calculated them.

So basically, I need to know how to make files appear in a drop down. How to make another cell calculate from a file selected in ANOTHER file and list the information.

How does all this sound? Thank you so much in advance!!!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
in A1 put Roasted Tomato Bisque

in B1 is this formula
=vlookup(A1,mymenus,2)

mymenus is Z1 to Z500 and in AA1 is all the detail

so you put your drop down in A1
and make A1 and B! so big they fill the screen

put a print option on the screen
ingedients could be on smae sceen in C1 - same approach

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back