ifsum or ifcount formula

ESPALLER

Okay, In cell E17 I am trying to say that if the data in cells P17-T17 are greater than 8, then the sum of what is greater than 8 will go in E17.. basically, overtime is anything over 8 hrs a day, cells p17 through t17 are the days of the week.. if any of them are over 8, then i need what is over 8 to sum in cell E17 for the total overtime.. I tried this:

=IF(SUMIF(P17:T17,0)>8,0,SUM(0))

It does not work! What am I missing?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Or something like this to add only the TRUE overtime... that is to sum the hours in each day that exceed the standard of 8

=SUMIF(P17:T17,">8")-(COUNTIF(P17:T17,">8")*8)

but.... question... if you work 9 hours on Monday...but then 0 on Tues thru Friday... do you still want to show 1 hour of overtime ?

You may want to check for a true weekly total over 40 before implementing the overtime calculation

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or something like this to add only the TRUE overtime... that is to sum the hours in each day that exceed the standard of 8

but.... question... if you work 9 hours on Monday...but then 0 on Tues thru Friday... do you still want to show 1 hour of overtime ?

You may want to check for a true weekly total over 40 before implementing the overtime calculation

AHH, you're wonderful! it worked perfectly!
thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Also:

=SUM(IF(P17:T17>8,P17:T17-8))

Confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just Enter.

Upvote 0

I sent you a direct message, too, danzon, but if anyone else sees this... this formula he gave was perfect.

and I need further help.

In the same vein, I need the sum of cells p:17-T17 for what is 8 and less in each cell.

So one cell with be the formula above and will calculate anything that is over 8, and the other will calculate anything that is 8 and below.

that way i'll have 1 cell that is for overtime, one for straight and then can total the two in an additional.

Upvote 0
Can't you just use

=SUM(P17:T17)-P19 where P19 is the overtime calculation that we solved previously... ?

aslo... you didn't answer in my previous post where I asked... "but.... question... if you work 9 hours on Monday...but then 0 on Tues thru Friday... do you still want to show 1 hour of overtime ?"

^ this point is kind of important

Upvote 0
Can't you just use

=SUM(P17:T17)-P19 where P19 is the overtime calculation that we solved previously... ?

aslo... you didn't answer in my previous post where I asked... "but.... question... if you work 9 hours on Monday...but then 0 on Tues thru Friday... do you still want to show 1 hour of overtime ?"

^ this point is kind of important

Yes, I do still want it to reflect that. We pay overtime rate on anything over 8 in 1 day, not 40 in 1 week. So it has to be by the daily.

I guess I am not sure what you mean to just use the one we solved previously. I tried to change it around myself so that it would reflect anything 8 and less the sum of the parts, but wasnt able to get it.

Upvote 0
OK... so what I am suggesting basically looks like this

=(SUM(P17:T17))-(SUMIF(P17:T17,">8")-(COUNTIF(P17:T17,">8")*8))

so that you are just adding up all the total hours....and then subtracting the overtime

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back