Importing images from folders into corresponding cells in the worksheet

DyG

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello.
I need a macro that I have no idea how to even start making.

I have multiple images in multiple subfolders. The file structure looks like this:
/Excel_file.xlsm​
/Images/Object1/Image1-1.jpg​
/Images/Object1/Image1-2.jpg​
[...]​
/Images/Object2/Image2-1.jpg​
/Images/Object2/Image2-2.jpg​
[...]​
etc.​

I need a macro that will scan the 'Images' folder with all subfolders to find all images (all are .jpg) and will insert them into worksheet in the cell with the same value as the name of the .jpg.
  • All the images have individual names. All the values in the cells are also individual.
  • There are more cells with those values than images. Not every cell gets an image, but every image has a corresponding cell.
  • Cells locations vary across the whole worksheet, there is not much constant about the addresses of those cells (only the range of few columns is constant) so the macro has to also find the cell address.
  • No need to worry about image size and position. All I need is for it to be pasted in a cell.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Assuming all the cell values are the file name without the .jpg extension, e.g. Image1-1, try this macro:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Add_Images_To_Cells()

Dim folderPath As String
    Dim filesDict As Object 'Scripting.Dictionary
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim picShape As Shape

folderPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Images\"

Set filesDict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") 'New Scripting.Dictionary
    Create_Files_Dictionary folderPath, filesDict

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet
        For Each cell In .Range("A1").CurrentRegion.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
            If filesDict.Exists(cell.Value) Then
                Set picShape = .Shapes.AddPicture(fileName:=filesDict(cell.Value), LinkToFile:=msoFalse, SaveWithDocument:=msoTrue, _
                                                  Left:=cell.Left, Top:=cell.Top, Width:=-1, Height:=-1)
                picShape.Name = cell.Value
            End If
        Next
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Private Sub Create_Files_Dictionary(ByVal startFolder As String, filesDict As Object)

Dim WSh As Object 'WshShell
    Dim command As String
    Dim allFiles As Variant
    Dim i As Long, p1 As Long, p2 As Long

If Right(startFolder, 1) <> "\" Then startFolder = startFolder & "\"
    command = "cmd /c DIR /S /B " & Chr(34) & startFolder & "*.jpg" & Chr(34)
    Set WSh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'New WshShell
    allFiles = Split(WSh.Exec(command).StdOut.ReadAll, vbCrLf)

For i = 0 To UBound(allFiles) - 1
        p1 = InStrRev(allFiles(i), "\")
        p2 = InStrRev(allFiles(i), ".")
        filesDict.Add Mid(allFiles(i), p1 + 1, p2 - p1 - 1), allFiles(i)
    Next

End Sub
The code should be quite fast because it scans the /Images/ subfolder tree only once and looks at only the populated cells on the active sheet.

Reactions: DyG
Upvote 0
Solution
Assuming all the cell values are the file name without the .jpg extension, e.g. Image1-1, try this macro:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Add_Images_To_Cells()

Dim folderPath As String
    Dim filesDict As Object 'Scripting.Dictionary
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim picShape As Shape

folderPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Images\"

Set filesDict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") 'New Scripting.Dictionary
    Create_Files_Dictionary folderPath, filesDict

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet
        For Each cell In .Range("A1").CurrentRegion.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
            If filesDict.Exists(cell.Value) Then
                Set picShape = .Shapes.AddPicture(fileName:=filesDict(cell.Value), LinkToFile:=msoFalse, SaveWithDocument:=msoTrue, _
                                                  Left:=cell.Left, Top:=cell.Top, Width:=-1, Height:=-1)
                picShape.Name = cell.Value
            End If
        Next
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Private Sub Create_Files_Dictionary(ByVal startFolder As String, filesDict As Object)

Dim WSh As Object 'WshShell
    Dim command As String
    Dim allFiles As Variant
    Dim i As Long, p1 As Long, p2 As Long

If Right(startFolder, 1) <> "\" Then startFolder = startFolder & "\"
    Set WSh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'New WshShell

For i = 0 To UBound(allFiles) - 1
        p1 = InStrRev(allFiles(i), "\")
        p2 = InStrRev(allFiles(i), ".")
        filesDict.Add Mid(allFiles(i), p1 + 1, p2 - p1 - 1), allFiles(i)
    Next

End Sub
The code should be quite fast because it scans the /Images/ subfolder tree only once and looks at only the populated cells on the active sheet.

It worked flawlessly. And like you said, it's quite fast. Also the code is so elegant :)
Thank you so much!

For the record I will just add my other idea.
I was also working right now on an approach that would be using the HYPERLINK() function to modify worksheet, so I could still have just the name displayed in the cell, but there would be a function inside generating the address, which in my case would be quite easy. With those hyperlinks the macro could just search for them and insert linked images. However I couldn't make this work either.

Upvote 0
For the record I will just add my other idea.
I was also working right now on an approach that would be using the HYPERLINK() function to modify worksheet, so I could still have just the name displayed in the cell, but there would be a function inside generating the address, which in my case would be quite easy. With those hyperlinks the macro could just search for them and insert linked images. However I couldn't make this work either.

To have the code look at the cell's value which is the 'friendly_name' argument of the HYPERLINK function, instead of a text value, simply change SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants) to SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas).

Upvote 0
Hello. Sorry for a little out of topic question but I encountered a software problem with Excel and I'm out of ideas.
I was messing with some macros today. Some of them were causing Excel to crash (unintended infinite loops), so I was closing it with the Task Manager and for some reason your macro doesn't work anymore. I'm not even sure if this is related.
Anyway,other macros (more basic) work fine. I tried rebooting everything, creating new clean files, checked if Microsoft Scripting Runtime is enabled, even reinstalled Excel and some other Microsoft tools, but without success.
Your macro still runs to the end of code without any errors, except the images just don't appear in the worksheet.
Do you have any ideas what could be causing my issue?

Upvote 0
Your macro still runs to the end of code without any errors, except the images just don't appear in the worksheet.
Do you have any ideas what could be causing my issue?
I don't know why this happens. Remember, it is looking at cells in the active sheet. Just for debugging to see what files it finds, change

VBA Code:
to:
VBA Code:
command = "cmd /k DIR /S /B " & Chr(34) & startFolder & "*.jpg" & Chr(34)
and:
VBA Code:
to:
VBA Code:
    WSh.Run command, 1
    Stop
The code should now display a command window showing the *.jpg files found in the main folder and its subfolders.

Upvote 0
Hi. After quite some trial and error I've managed to figure out what is causing the issue. The cause is quite specific and beyond my understanding.
Turns out that your macro is very sensitive about contents of cells A2; B1 and B2.
  1. When cells A2; B1 and B2 are empty, everything works fine.
  2. When one of the cells A2; B1 and B2 has a constant then:
    • The macro breaks when using
      VBA Code:
      SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
      (on this specific line)
    • The macro doesn't break, but no images are imported when using
      VBA Code:
      SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
  3. When one of the cells A2; B1 and B2 has a formula then:
    • The macro doesn't break, but no images are imported when using
      VBA Code:
      SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
    • The macro breaks when using
      VBA Code:
      SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
      (on this specific line)
I'm baffled, to say the least.

Upvote 0
Also for the record. When playing with some modifications of this macro, and also while using your debugging lines, Microsoft sometimes panics that it's some virus. This was also part of my problem, but quite obvious one, because there were pop-up notifications.
I had plenty of 'Malicious macros were found' alerts after which Excel turns off as well as Windows Defender blocking the xlms file and marking it as Trojan.
I had to mark the file as trusted in Windows Defender and also in Excel Trust Center Settings: Add, remove, or change a trusted location

Upvote 0
Change:
VBA Code:
        For Each cell In .Range("A1").CurrentRegion.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas))
to:
VBA Code:
        For Each cell In .UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back