Index formula not pulling information

ClaraHam

I have used the Index formula to pull information from another sheet within the same workbook, but it does not work properly. The 2 sheets are identical, and should populate the relevant information, but it isn't.

Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Outstanding!I:I,MATCH(J2,Outstanding!J:J,0)),"")

I am either getting nothing, 0 or 0-Jan-00. I used the exact same formula in the adjacent cell, and all relevant information is pulling...I am at a loss.

Thanks!
Clara

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
It works for me, as long as

a) J2 contains something
b) The value in J2 is also found in the range Outstanding!J:J
c) There is a value in the range Outstanding!I:I on the same row as the value of J2 in Outstanding!J:J

Are you sure all of these are true ?

Upvote 0
It works for me, as long as

a) J2 contains something
b) The value in J2 is also found in the range Outstanding!J:J
c) There is a value in the range Outstanding!I:I on the same row as the value of J2 in Outstanding!J:J

Are you sure all of these are true ?

To answer your question:
a) J2 does contain something - always
b) The value isn't for certain in the range J:J, it is just looking for matches
c) There isn't always a value in the outstanding range I:I on the same row, sometimes there is nothing.

Do you think that is why? The purpose is as follows:

1 sheet is a worksheet, sometimes the worksheet requires comments for certain items. Every day, new data is exported that may be something that has already been looked at and comments added - in that case, I want the formula to look at a value, and if it finds it - populates the comments where there are some. Make sense?

Upvote 0
Looking at this again . . .

If J2 is blank, the formula returns blank.
If J2 is NOT blank, but contains a value that is NOT found in "Outstanding!J:J", the formula returns blank.

So if your formula returns a blank, then the reason is one of the two above conditions applies.

If J2 is NOT blank, and contains a value that IS found in "Outstanding!J:J", but there is NO corresponding value in "Outstanding!I:I", the formula returns 0.

And finally, if J2 is NOT blank, and contains a value that IS found in "Outstanding!J:J", and there IS a corresponding value in "Outstanding!I:I", the formula returns that value from I:I.

Upvote 0
Looking at this again . . .

If J2 is blank, the formula returns blank.
If J2 is NOT blank, but contains a value that is NOT found in "Outstanding!J:J", the formula returns blank.

So if your formula returns a blank, then the reason is one of the two above conditions applies.

If J2 is NOT blank, and contains a value that IS found in "Outstanding!J:J", but there is NO corresponding value in "Outstanding!I:I", the formula returns 0.

And finally, if J2 is NOT blank, and contains a value that IS found in "Outstanding!J:J", and there IS a corresponding value in "Outstanding!I:I", the formula returns that value from I:I.

This is perfect! So if I don't want the "0" value to appear, I can use an IF formula that will return blank if the value is zero? I will try it.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Yes that should probably work.

There are other ways round this as well.

For example, you could change the number format for the cell containing the formula, to a format that displays 0 as blank, or some other character, perhaps "-".
You'll have to decide for yourself whether this approach is appropriate to your situation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back