INDEX MATCH - Find the latest entry

MonkeyFace28

Board Regular
Hi y'all :)

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to Christmas!! YAY!! :rolleyes:

I have a quick question, I have done a bit of searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find anything that seemed to work when I applied it to my sheet.

I have sheet (OPEN_GOs) containing order numbers column B, I need to return that latest Invoice for said order number. Here is my index match formula.

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$967,MATCH(OPEN_GOs!B2,report14!$M$2:$M$3299,0)),"NO INVOICE")

There is a date column (report14 - column B) that could be used to determine a unique reference, but I can't think how to use it?

Thanks in advance for reading and your help :)

Steph xx

Hi,

Don't think @Aladin Akyurek mend any wrong doing towards you but is just trying to explain how forum members can help you in the easiest and best way possible.

Anyway...

Your question is a clarification of your initial ask. The formula i provided is assuming there just 1 invoice per date, subsequently the latest date will hold the latest invoice.
By showing your data we can see there can be multiple invoice for the same order on the same day.

I think this could be helpful:
Assuming the reference to the invoice will be numerical and a higher number refers to a later invoice, an array formula so to be confirmed with Control+shift+enter.

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,MATCH(MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$3299=OPEN_GOs!B33)*(report14!$E$2:$E$3299)*(report14!$B$2:$B$3299)),(report14!$B$2:$B$3299*report14!$E$2:$E$3299),0)),"Not Invoiced Yet")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
thank you jorismoerings, I haven't had chance to check this formula yet. I will try.

I don't think he did either, I think I was feeling a bit sensitive that day, I did try to edit it but it had been more than 10mins and would have had to ask admin and blah blah.

Will let you know if it works :) thanks a mill

Upvote 0
I think this could be helpful:
Assuming the reference to the invoice will be numerical and a higher number refers to a later invoice, an array formula so to be confirmed with Control+shift+enter.

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,MATCH(MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$3299=OPEN_GOs!B33)*(report14!$E$2:$E$3299)*(report14!$B$2:$B$3299)),(report14!$B$2:$B$3299*report14!$E$2:$E$3299),0)),"Not Invoiced Yet")

@jorismoerings

I have put the formula in but I'm getting a "0" where there are errors? I have doubled check the logic and it makes sense, I mean its an IFERROR, there's two parts to the argument! the value and the result if the value is true?

I think I'm going to start again with this spreadsheet as now some of my other formulas aren't working. I shall also do some digging to see how I can upload a data file so people can experiment if needed :)

EDIT - just hit enter (by mistake) so without the { } and the output was "Not Invoiced Yet" could it be to do with the array?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Could be but without an ability to work with actual data it's not something i can answer.
Are you able to upload your file (desensitized!) to a file share service like Box, Dropbox, etc. and share the link in a post so we can work with it without retyping everything and second will eliminate any assuming ogf how your file looks like.

Upvote 0
Hi,

The 0 values are created by the used arrays in the formula, particularly the MAX function part.
Change the formula to:
=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$4000,MATCH(IF(MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$4000=OPEN_GOs!B2)*(report14!$E$2:$E$4000)*(report14!$B$2:$B$4000))=0,NA(),MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$4000=OPEN_GOs!B2)*(report14!$E$2:$E$4000)*(report14!$B$2:$B$4000))),(report14!$B$2:$B$4000*report14!$E$2:$E$4000),0)),"Not Invoiced Yet")

This should do the trick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

The 0 values are created by the used arrays in the formula, particularly the MAX function part.
Change the formula to:
=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$4000,MATCH(IF(MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$4000=OPEN_GOs!B2)*(report14!$E$2:$E$4000)*(report14!$B$2:$B$4000))=0,NA(),MAX((report14!$M$2:$M$4000=OPEN_GOs!B2)*(report14!$E$2:$E$4000)*(report14!$B$2:$B$4000))),(report14!$B$2:$B$4000*report14!$E$2:$E$4000),0)),"Not Invoiced Yet")

This should do the trick.

Hey,

When I paste the formula in to the cell, do the Ctrl+Shift+Enter a file window pops up asking me to update values 4. I think I'm happy with it showing a "0" to be honest, the formula is working and the thing that matters most is the correct invoice number showing so I think you have done more than enough to help me :) thank you soo much for all your help x

Just put a conditional format in there so I can't see the "0" so I'm a very happy bunny now, thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back