Is it possible to store more than one number in a cell (i.e. an array in a cell), and how can the nth element be referenced in formulas?

Rnkhch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to store more than one number in an array. I'm hoping I can reduce the size of my large score sheets by storing the scores of each student in one cell where for example the first element would be math score, the second physics score, the third chemistry score, etc., like this:

A1={98,83,87,90,93}

If this is possible, how would I reference the nth element in the cell to use in subsequent calculations?

Thanks a lot for any input!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Re: Is it possible to strore more than one number in a cell (i.e. an array in a cell), and how can the nth element be referenced in formulas?

Maybe this

Excel 2007
ABC
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=LEFT(A1,2)
B2=MID(A1,4,2)
B3=MID(A1,7,2)
B4=MID(A1,10,2)
B5=RIGHT(A1,2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Is it possible to strore more than one number in a cell (i.e. an array in a cell), and how can the nth element be referenced in formulas?

The suggestion of Mr. Michael M is good. He used a helper column.
in case such helper column is hampering any data around it - you might want to transfer the helper column further out say column XFD (the furthest column) - then you can make your calculations - say, functions max, min, aver etc addressing the XFD cells without using any "complicated" workarounds. HTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

No....I didn't use it for a helper column.
I simply used a variety of formula to address each set of numbers.
The OP can then apply whichever one they require at any location they need...:cool:

Upvote 0

thanks..

Upvote 0

Hi,

Don't think that'll work, what if a student is really bad at math, and got a failing score of 9, but really good at language and got a perfect score of 100...

Here's one way:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJ
1nth ElementResultMathPhysicsChemistryLanguageArts
Sheet298
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,",",REPT(" ",30)),C2*30-29,30)+0

F1:J2 is Not needed, I'm showing them for reference purposes Only, but you'll probably need something like that to refer to anyway.
Just enter the nth element you want in C, the formula will extract the correct element.

Upvote 0

(y)....glad I'm not student No 2....:cool:

Upvote 0

(y)....glad I'm not student No 2....:cool:

(y)

Don't think he/she ever showed up for class. :eek:

Upvote 0

neat!

Upvote 0

Wow, that's incredible! You're a genius jtakw :)

Now that this is taken care of, the next question is what would be the best way to put scores from multiple sheets into one cell? I tried something like this in "main" sheet and was hoping to drag the formula and easily compile the scores for all students in the main sheet, but it doesn't work:

A2=Math!A2,Physics!A2,Chemistry!A2,Language!A2,Arts!A2

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back