My file to date is NOT attached - I can't figure out how to do it. :eek:
I did search "attach file to post" but couldn't find how to do it

To start with I want the students to be able to choose if the problems will be

1. Addition only
  2. Subtraction only
  3. Addition and subtraction problems at random
They do this in cell A2

They select the highest number to be used in cell D2
They then either select the lowest number in cell D4 ... or ... select a specific number fact they want to work on in cell D5

The problem that the students will see is in cell A7 (this has been created by concatenating three other cells)
The students will type their answer in cell B7

Here is my problem:
How can I get excel to calculate the correct answer to the problem in A7 - so that I can create a correct or wrong check?

Once that is achieved:

1. how can I get the worksheet to produce another random question in A7
  2. I also want the students to select either a drill of 10 questions or 20 questions.
    How can I get excel to stop generating questions once it reaches 10 or 20?
  3. How can I keep a record of how many problems the student got correct and how many they got wrong for those 10 or 20 questions?

Later I would like an alternative worksheet that has a 60 second countdown keeper - to test how many problems the students completed in one minute - BUT THAT IS FOR LATER

Thankyou very much for any assistance or guidance

the student can say whether they want add, subtract or mixed, and set the minimum and maximum values

the image file merely indicates there were shapes there - these do not copy into this forum

cells in cols AA and AB are for correct answer and student answer

the short macro can be modified to put the student score into the teacher workbook

easy to set 10, 20 30 questions per session

if you read the macro code it is obvious that the "X" is in cells(2,1) cells(2,2) and cells(2,3) (A2, B2, C2)

(2,6) and (2,7) are the number limits

Thank you very much for the additional information.
However, I have never written any VBA code (I have only recorded a few simple macros by recording the steps)
I have no idea what the steps in your code do
I have never come across cell referencing such as cells(2,1) only A2 etc
I'm afraid the code is not obvious to me and I don't understand the importance/significance of the "X"

Again I truly appreciate the time and effort you have put in and I quite understand if you decide you have spent enough effort/time on this

This is a screenshot of my attempt to follow your information
Clicking "set question" does indeed set a question in E10/E11/F10
However if I put the answer in E12 and click "check answer" I get an "INCORRECT" result in E20
I also don't know how I am supposed to select "subtraction" - I highlight B1 then click "set question" but I still get an addition problem

-- corrupted image removed --

Arrrgh - in the preview my screenshot displayed perfectly. When I submitted the post it got changed to about a 100 lines like this?

This is a link to the screenshot:
Dropbox - 2017.08.23_21h21m25s_002_.jpg

My initial file was really a first effort to get a drill worksheet going so it was only limited to addition and subtraction (just to get the methodology right).
Once I had a method for the students to check their answers, I was going to develop a worksheet that would give the option of drilling
addition
subtraction
addition and subtraction
multiplication
division
multiplication and division
ALL operations

They need to be in a horizontal format / same row eg 3 x 4 in one cell (or three cells that I can format to look like one cell) and then the student puts in the answer in the next adjacent cell in the same row

My goal is to have options for:
* max and min number range OR set the same number to practice (and no problem that has a negative answer and every division problem has a whole number answer) [I am able to create a worksheet that creates random questions that can do everything up to this point]

What I can't do are the following
* have options for the number of questions in a session
* be able to check the answer (at the moment my worksheet recalculates as soon as the answer is entered and therefore my check number is for the problem that WAS there)
* Ideally, once the student enters their answer and it is checked, it automatically shows the next question in the drill
* At the end of the session the student should see a record of the number of questions correct and the number of questions incorrect

Given that you may well decide that it is too much work - and I would completely understand if you move onto to help other people
I truly appreciate what you have done and the fault lies entirely with me and my limited knowledge of Excel

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
cells(2,1) is row 2 col 1 = A2

you can determine from the macro code which cells are defined (for student to put an "X" in, for the highest and lowest number range, for the "+" or the "-" sign and for the 2 numbers comprising the sum. There are also cells in AA and AB cols for correct answer and student answer and a cell to tell the student if answer is correct. You must set up a test sheet using exactly those cells and copy the 2 macros and install them, and preferably put in 2 shapes, labelled with function, and assign the macros to them. Report any issues.

easy to ask the student if they want a specific number of questions and to stop the macro functioning if they try to exceed that.

easy to send the % score to your own workbook - but we will tackle that after you have the first stage running

I will change layout to horizontal and to look like one cell

Upvote 0
cells(2,1) is row 2 col 1 = A2

you can determine from the macro code which cells are defined (for student to put an "X" in, for the highest and lowest number range, for the "+" or the "-" sign and for the 2 numbers comprising the sum. There are also cells in AA and AB cols for correct answer and student answer and a cell to tell the student if answer is correct. You must set up a test sheet using exactly those cells and copy the 2 macros and install them, and preferably put in 2 shapes, labelled with function, and assign the macros to them. Report any issues.

easy to ask the student if they want a specific number of questions and to stop the macro functioning if they try to exceed that.

easy to send the % score to your own workbook - but we will tackle that after you have the first stage running

I will change layout to horizontal and to look like one cell

Thank you SO much for the additional information - I can finally see how it works from the students perspective, however I am still getting "incorrect" for answers that are correct.
I fear however that what I would like would require a complete re-write of you code ... and I'm embarrassed about that.
My initial request was really looking for an in-principle solution to see if what I was hoping for was even feasible

I must admit I'm finding the inability to attach files or insert screenshot is very frustrating.
I fear that trying to explain detailed layouts and designs would without these would result in you having to expend far more time and effort than I would feel comfortable with. Working with students, I need to try and make the design bulletproof.
You have been incredibly generous and patient and I am truly appreciative.

However I don't feel OK with imposing on your time with what I think will be a major undertaking.
Perhaps I should look to pay some-one to do it for me as it is way above my abilities and too much to ask a volunteer to do it for free

I am truly sorry that I have wasted your time - I just don't want you to put in a whole bunch more

Last edited:
Upvote 0
look - I am retired aged 72 and need to keep my brain cells active - so I regard this as a leisure activity....

you can highlight say A1 to z20 of your trial spreadsheet and just paste it in the reply box - I wait till you do

if you are using the formulas I posted (they work) you must be inputting something other than the answer,,,,,

Upvote 0
look - I am retired aged 72 and need to keep my brain cells active - so I regard this as a leisure activity....

you can highlight say A1 to z20 of your trial spreadsheet and just paste it in the reply box - I wait till you do

if you are using the formulas I posted (they work) you must be inputting something other than the answer,,,,,

Thank you!
Here's a copy of what I have done & probably messed up)
additionsubtractioneithermax numbermin number
X121
C:\Users\Ace-r\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png

<tbody>
</tbody>
C:\Users\Ace-r\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.png

<tbody>
</tbody>
7+
INCORRECT

<colgroup><col span="3"><col span="2"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

And this is my rudimentary effort so far (all the background calculations are in columns H to M plus lookup tables on other worksheets)
Step 1: Choose an operationStep 2: Choose range of numbers to include
Multiplication & DivisionChoose High Number12
EITHER Choose Low Number1
OR choose a specific single number eg you want all problems to be +4 &/or -4
Question for studentEnter answer hereCorrect Answer
2 x 4108
Wrong
This formua doesn't work because when the answer is entered and you press "ENTER" the worksheet recalculates. So G7 changes to answer the new question and doesn't match the answer to the previous question in B7.

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
You are trying to copy files into here - it does not work - copy part of your spreadsheet and do a normal paste into the reply box

Upvote 0
You are trying to copy files into here - it does not work - copy part of your spreadsheet and do a normal paste into the reply box

That is what I did?
I will try again (selected A1:G20 > copy > paste here)

additionsubtractioneithermax numbermin number
X121
C:\Users\Ace-r\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png

<tbody>
</tbody>
C:\Users\Ace-r\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.png

<tbody>
</tbody>
7+
INCORRECT

<colgroup><col span="3"><col span="2"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
do you have some shapes or buttons - if so make a copy of your sheet, delete the shapes and try again...

Upvote 0
do you have some shapes or buttons - if so make a copy of your sheet, delete the shapes and try again...

Thank you once again for persevering.
I'm afraid the process of conveying information about each other's workbooks is frustrating laborious on this forum.

I think we are wasting each others time simply trying to show what is happening.
The inability to attach a file or a screenshot is a major problem - most of our replies have been more trying to work out what each of us has on their worksheets

I thank you most sincerely for the time and effort you have put in. You have been incredibly generous and I really do appreciate it.
I will try to get a solution somewhere else on the internet that hopefully allows for attachments

I'm really sorry to have wasted you time.

Upvote 0
you have not wasted my time - the rules of this forum allow you to post a link to google sheets - as this will be available to anybody who wishes to help or learn. That way I will be able to see your formulas. And although I do not view drop box files, they are allowed on here too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylsteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back