issues with lookup_value with vlookup

tpkelley_no

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using vlookup and the lookup up value does not match because of spacing. how can I fix the issue? This is my formula I used. i tried True and it came up with the wrong number. =VLOOKUP(B67,Data_Sheet!C:F,4,FALSE)

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
So B67 does not exactly match anything in Column F?

One of them has additional spaces?

Can You create a seperate column removing the spaces by using =TRIM(), then Vlookup to this column?

Upvote 0
It's column C that B67 does not match exactly. I think tpkelley_no understands that. He says "because of spacing".

But without specifics, it is difficult to instruct "how to fix the issue". In the first place, we don't where the errant spaces are: B67, or column C in worksheet Data_Sheet, or both. Secondly, we don't know if the "spaces" are real spaces (ASCII 32) or non-breaking spaces (ASCII 160). The latter is common when we copy-and-paste from webpages. Finally, we don't know if the data in B67 and column C are both text, or if they are intended to be both numeric, but one is not because of the errant spaces.

@tpkelley_no.... I suggest that you upload an example Excel file (redacted) that demonstrates the problem to a file-sharing website (e.g. box.net/files), and post the public/share URL in a response here. Test the download URL, being careful to log out of the file-sharing website. (If you use box.net/files, ignore an preview errors, and just download.)

Some participants cannot or will not download such files. But in this case, obviously, the devil is in the details that would be difficult for us to see if you simply post the data in a table here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this works!
=VLOOKUP("*"&B67&"*",Data_Sheet!C:F,4,FALSE)
Thank You.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back