Linking Excel 2016 Workbooks

USAOzi

OK this is a three part tricky problem.

After reading some useful online information about linking Excel 2016 workbooks I decided to try it in an effort to ensure data consistency and reduce the amount of time it took to update nearly 100 workbooks with relevant foreign exchange rates data (copy/paste) that needed frequent updating.

Some of these workbooks are quite large with up to 30 worksheets.

The link process seems to work OK BUT with provisions.

1) My workbooks now take SIGNIFICANTLY longer to open, one in particular taking up to 30 minutes!!! Arghhh! WHY is this now the case?

2) I set Excel to always trust VBA etc. and after linking the first time then saving then re-opening the file I get the message that updates can't be performed at that time and to either update values or continue without it. I then went (as instructed) to the Data tab/Edit links and set the Startup Prompt notification to always open with no notification and update links then saved the file. Re-opening a second time and I STILL get that message! WHY? The procedure described was supposed to stop that from happening!

3) After linking, if I change the name of the source file but NOT its location, will the name change be propagated to all the linked workbooks or do I have to (labouriously) manually edit EVERY instance of the name? (IF this is so I can see a 365 day job looming and fraught with error possibilities if I miss some instances!)

I'd appreciate some comments and advise on this from a skilled and knowledgeable user or MVP.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back