Listing text mentions in Excel

rmilos

I have a project where I need to match my company's disciplines with the previous client projects.

I have sheet one where I will list a client name in column A1 with disciplines used for that client in B1, C1, D1, etc.
Client two in A2 with discipline in B2, C2, etc.

Sheet two contains the disciplines in A1, B1, C1, D1, etc.

Is there a formula the hat would return a list of client names with that discipline on sheet 1 under the discipline heading?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Roughly how many clients do you have, and how many disciplines do you have? Are you averse to using helper columns?

Upvote 0
Over 100 with six disciplines

I've cobbled this: =ADDRESS(MATCH("*POS*",[Sheet1]Projects!D3:D100,0)+ROW([Sheet]Projects!D3)-1,COLUMN([Sheet1]Projects!D3:D100),4)

but only get one row returned.

Sheet 1

ClientDisciplines
AdidasCablingMaintenancePOS
BBCablingTesting
CCCablingPOS
Cabling
Telecom
Other

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="8"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

CablingMaintenancePOSTestingTele-comOther
B3C3D3E4F7G8

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
You actually made it easier by requiring that all the disciplines on Sheet1 remain in designated columns (Cabling in column B, Maintenance in column C, etc.). I worried that you were just planning on putting them in adjacent cells. Given that, enter this formula on Sheet2, cell A2:
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Projects!$A$1:$A$200,SMALL(IF(Projects!B$1:B$200<>"",ROW(B$1:B$200),0),ROW()+COUNTIF(Projects!B$1:B$200,"=")-1)),"")
This is an array formula, so use Control-Shift-Enter when putting it in the formula bar. Then copy it to A2:F200.

Let me know how it works.

Upvote 0
You actually made it easier by requiring that all the disciplines on Sheet1 remain in designated columns (Cabling in column B, Maintenance in column C, etc.). I worried that you were just planning on putting them in adjacent cells. Given that, enter this formula on Sheet2, cell A2:
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Projects!$A$1:$A$200,SMALL(IF(Projects!B$1:B$200<>"",ROW(B$1:B$200),0),ROW()+COUNTIF(Projects!B$1:B$200,"=")-1)),"")
This is an array formula, so use Control-Shift-Enter when putting it in the formula bar. Then copy it to A2:F200.

Let me know how it works.

This provides only one "True" with no location from sheet 1

A B C
Cabling Maintenance POS

True C3 D3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Here's a copy of my test sheets:

ABCDEFG
1oneCablingMaintenancePOSTestingother
2twoCabling
3threeMaintenanceTelecom
4fourCablingtesting

<tbody>
</tbody>

ABCDEF
1CablingMaintenancePOSTestingTelecomother
2oneoneoneonethreeone
3twothreefour
4four

<tbody>
</tbody>

Are your cell ranges the same as this? Did you remember to confirm the formula with Control-Shift-Enter? Does this represent your expected results?

Let me know.

Upvote 0
When I add your formula to Sheet 2, A2 this is what I get "Client" on sheet 2.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
Client
Disciplines

Adidas
Cabling
Maintenance
POS

BB
Cabling

Testing

CC
Cabling

POS

DD
Cabling

EE

Other
FF

Tele-com

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet 1

Sheet 2

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
Cabling
Maintenance
POS
Testing
Tele-com
Other

Client
D3
C3
E4
F7
G8

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm not smart in all this - Sorry

Upvote 0
No problem - you learn by asking.

The problem is that I did not realize that you had a header row on the client sheet. I had to adjust the formula to account for that. Try this:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Projects!$A$3:$A$202,SMALL(IF(Projects!B$3:B$202<>"",ROW(B$1:B$200),0),ROW()+COUNTIF(Projects!B$3:B$202,"=")-1)),"")

Put that in A2 on Sheet2 and copy it to the other cells.

Let me know if that works.

Upvote 0
The good part is that it retrieves the name of the company not the cell name! The bad news is that it only returns on name and returns that one name in all discipline cells even though the discipline is not listed for that company (Adidas)

Cabling
Maintenance
POS
Testing
Tele-com
Other
Adidas
Adidas
Adidas
Adidas
F7
G8

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Well, 2 steps forward, 1 step back I guess. We just have to figure out how your spreadsheet differs from my test spreadsheet.

When you copied the formula from cell A2, did you select cell A2, copy it with Control-C (or right-click on the cell and select Copy, or the button on the ribbon), then select B2:D2, and paste it with Control-V (or right-click on the cell and select Paste)?

Or did you go to cell D2 and paste the formula in the formula bar?

Those 2 methods have very different results. Try using the first method, and do a few rows and let me know what happens.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back