Loading LOTS of data files

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been asked to link about 180 individual (identical) workbooks with one workbook so a central person can monitor the training dates entered by individual users (in their own workbook).

I can link one sheet to 180 other workbooks, but I don't think that's the best way as anytime we get some new, I will need to set up another set of links to their workbooks.

I'm thinking about having each of the 180 workbooks save a one line CSV file from their workbook containing various information such as name, section, and a training date for each type of training we all need to take. Then the central person will open their workbook and it will read in all of the one line of data files for everyone and then we can go from there. Once all of the data for all 180 people is in one file we can do the other stuff such conditional formatting and reporting of people that are not up to date with their training.

I've done some internet searches and there is help loading multiple data files, with variable names into Excel. I haven't tried them yet, I'm still exploring options. Unfortunately, MS Access isn't an option here and having one file that everyone updates doesn't seem practical.

Another factor is the individual excel files with dates is already out there, so I will need to modify 180 workbooks so I figure inserting a module with the code, and pasting in the same close event wouldn't be too bad to set up the saving of the one line data set for each person.

Does this seem practical? Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks for any advise.
Mark

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
here is something else to play with, this code will create a hyperlink to every file in a folder. Currently the folder which the active workbook is saved. Note you need to make a refence to Microsoft scripting runtime to get it to work in the VBA tool menu
Code:
Sub test()' Add reference to Microsfot Scripting runtime to get the FSo functionality
Dim pathn As String
    Dim FSO As New FileSystemObject
    Dim myFolder As Folder
    Dim myFile As File
    Dim inarr(1 To 5000) As String

pathn = ActiveWorkbook.Path
FolderName = FSO.GetFolder(pathn)
Set myFolder = FSO.GetFolder(pathn)

cnt = 1
' find all the files
For Each myFile In myFolder.Files
    inarr(cnt) = myFile.Name
    cnt = cnt + 1
Next
 For i = 1 To cnt - 1
                        '   now add links
              With ActiveSheet
              .Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 1)), _
                                Address:=Path & inarr(i), _
                                TextToDisplay:=inarr(i)
              End With
 Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
finally here is some code that will check every file in a folder againts every hyperlink on the active sheet and tell which are missing. Run the previous code and then delete a couple of the links and then try this code
Code:
Sub findlinks()

Dim h As Hyperlink
' Add reference to Microsfot Scripting runtime to get the FSo functionality
Dim pathn As String
    Dim FSO As New FileSystemObject
    Dim myFolder As Folder
    Dim myFile As File
    Dim inarr(1 To 5000) As String

pathn = ActiveWorkbook.Path
FolderName = FSO.GetFolder(pathn)
Set myFolder = FSO.GetFolder(pathn)

cnt = 1
' find all the files
For Each myFile In myFolder.Files

fnd = False
    For Each h In ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks
        If myFile.Name = h.Name Then     ' Filename = linked file
         ' file already linked
          fnd = True
          Exit For
        End If
    Next h
    If Not (fnd) Then
     MsgBox (myFile.Name & " was not linked")
    End If
Next

End Sub
I reckkon that is all you need to do the job

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just another possible way could be the use of MoreFunc with the Indirect.ext formula as long as you are using a 32 bit version of Excel. I currently use it to pull payroll into a summary worksheet using something like this : =IFERROR(INDIRECT.EXT("'S:\Security\Security Payroll-Scheduling\PAYROLL JAN-DEC 2018\["&TEXT($O38,"M-D-YY")&".xlsm]Summary'!M9"),"")

So I list the path and I'm using ["&TEXT($O38,"M-D-YY")&".xlsm] because the file name is a date to pull the value from the cell. I don't know how you have your files set up but if its a last name then you could have a list of names and pull from that so whenever you add personnel just add it to the list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back