Log Users Off A Shared Database

gbaker101

I created a database that is on our network and shared throughout our company that I am responsible for. Despite my advanced warnings that I needed everyone to be logged out of the database last night so I could do upgrades this morning, someone of course went home without logging out. I need to see if anyone knows of a macro that I can run that will automatically log other users out of the database in instances like this so I can have sole access for making upgrades. Any assistance/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
When the database opens, you could start up a hidden form that checks for a text file on the network every 5 minutes or so. If the text file can be found, then check again in another 5 minutes. If the text file cannot be found, then open up a shutdown form that will automatically close your database.

When you need to make design changes to your database, then you would go to the network and rename your text file from DatabaseOn.txt to DatabaseOff.txt. This will kick all users out of the database within 5 minutes.

When you have completed your design changes, you can rename your text file from DatabaseOff.txt to DatabaseOn.txt and this will allow users to gain access to your database again.

Here is a link that might explain it more...
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217056

Another way might be to split your database into a Front End and a Back End. Then create a batch file for your users that will copy the Front End to their local computers and then start up the database from their own local copy of the Front End. This way, there will never be anyone using the master copy of the Front End Database so you can make changes to it whenever you need.

I am at work so will not be able to check on this any longer but hopefully some of this will be helpful to you or maybe spark some other ideas from you or others.

Good Luck,

David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back