Logic Cell Letter Value VLookup or IF

EXCELlent 2010

I am looking for the most simple way to reflect "Y" in C3, from the indication that "Y" is displayed in both A3 and B3. I am very new to lookups, if statements, and all similar functions. I basically want to tell it "if A3 AND B3 are "Y" then C3 should be "Y"". I apologize if the title of the thread is not correct, I could not think of a better title. Thank you for your time and help, it is much appreciated.

Before
CokePepsiCoke/Pepsi
Y
YY
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

And After
CokePepsiCoke/Pepsi
Y
YYY
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I am looking for the most simple way to reflect "Y" in C3, from the indication that "Y" is displayed in both A3 and B3. I am very new to lookups, if statements, and all similar functions. I basically want to tell it "if A3 AND B3 are "Y" then C3 should be "Y"". I apologize if the title of the thread is not correct, I could not think of a better title. Thank you for your time and help, it is much appreciated.

Before
Coke
Pepsi
Coke/Pepsi
Y
Y
Y
Y

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

And After
Coke
Pepsi
Coke/Pepsi
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Like this...

=IF(AND(A2="Y",B2="Y"),"Y","")

Copy down

Upvote 0
Thank you for your swift response. I plugged it in, aboluted the columns A and B: =IF(AND($A2="Y",$B2="Y"),"Y",""), and dragged the formula down the entire column. Now on each row, I get a "Y" in column C no matter what is in column A or B. I don't understand why this is happening. Please shed light upon my darkness. I deeply appreciate your help, thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your swift response. I plugged it in, aboluted the columns A and B: =IF(AND($A2="Y",$B2="Y"),"Y",""), and dragged the formula down the entire column. Now on each row, I get a "Y" in column C no matter what is in column A or B. I don't understand why this is happening. Please shed light upon my darkness. I deeply appreciate your help, thanks again.
Make sure calculation is set to Automatic.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back