Lookup across multiple columns and row to produce a single result

Tomitsch

I am try to lookup Regions for each state in a vertical list. The problem is that the lookup table has several states in each reagion. So, in my lookup column I have OH (Ohio) I want to get the result region LRD or NE (Nebraska) = NWD, etc. Yes, I could destruct the table to make a linear list so each state has a matching value. But it seems I should be able to do this across a range of cells. I have tried all sorts of index/match, vlookups, hlookups etc.

I guess I cannot attach files at this time....being I am new on the site and all :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:
Lookup Table
RegionStates
LRDWVKYTNINOHMI
MVDMSILMNWILAIAND
NADCTMAMENHRIVTNJNYDCDEMDPAVA
NWDKSMONECOMTSDWYIDORWA
PODHIAKGuam
SADALFLGANCSCPRVI
SPDNMUTAZCANV
SWDAROKTX

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" span="14" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I am try to lookup Regions for each state in a vertical list. The problem is that the lookup table has several states in each reagion. So, in my lookup column I have OH (Ohio) I want to get the result region LRD or NE (Nebraska) = NWD, etc. Yes, I could destruct the table to make a linear list so each state has a matching value. But it seems I should be able to do this across a range of cells. I have tried all sorts of index/match, vlookups, hlookups etc.

I guess I cannot attach files at this time....being I am new on the site and all :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:
Lookup Table
Region
States
LRD
WV
KY
TN
IN
OH
MI
MVD
MS
IL
MN
WI
LA
IA
ND
NAD
CT
MA
ME
NH
RI
VT
NJ
NY
DC
DE
MD
PA
VA
NWD
KS
MO
NE
CO
MT
SD
WY
ID
OR
WA
POD
HI
AK
Guam
SAD
AL
FL
GA
NC
SC
PR
VI
SPD
NM
UT
AZ
CA
NV
SWD
AR
OK
TX

<tbody>
</tbody>

A12: OH

B12, control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$9,MIN(IF($B$2:$N$9=$A12,ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1)))

If some control is desired...

=COUNTIF($B$2:$N$9,$A12),INDEX($A$2:$A$9,MIN(IF($B$2:$N$9=$A12,ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1))),"")

Upvote 0
I tried both options. The first one I get either a #Ref or incorrect answer as shown below. It was entered as an array. The second I didn't get to work at all. I rearranged everything so that I didn't have problems with the reference you used. The table below is aligned to A1.

Thanks in advance.

This is Cell A1
RegionStates
LRDWVKYTNINOHMI
MVDMSILMNWILAIAND
NADCTMAMENHRIVTNJNYDCDEMDPAVA
NWDKSMONECOMTSDWYIDORWA
PODHIAKGuam
SADALFLGANCSCPRVI
SPDNMUTAZCANV
SWDAROKTX
State CodeRegion
TX#REF!<<{=INDEX($A$3:$A$10,MIN(IF($B$3:$N$10=$A12,ROW($A$3:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1)))}
NYNWD
NJNWD
VANWD
INMVD
ALSPD
FLSPD
MIMVD

<colgroup><col style="width: 69pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3364;" width="92"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 48pt;" span="12" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I tried both options. The first one I get either a #Ref or incorrect answer as shown below. It was entered as an array. The second I didn't get to work at all. I rearranged everything so that I didn't have problems with the reference you used. The table below is aligned to A1.

Thanks in advance.

This is Cell A1
Region
States
LRD
WV
KY
TN
IN
OH
MI
MVD
MS
IL
MN
WI
LA
IA
ND
NAD
CT
MA
ME
NH
RI
VT
NJ
NY
DC
DE
MD
PA
VA
NWD
KS
MO
NE
CO
MT
SD
WY
ID
OR
WA
POD
HI
AK
Guam
SAD
AL
FL
GA
NC
SC
PR
VI
SPD
NM
UT
AZ
CA
NV
SWD
AR
OK
TX
State Code
Region
TX
#REF!
<<{=INDEX($A$3:$A$10,MIN(IF($B$3:$N$10=$A12,ROW($A$3:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1)))}
NY
NWD
NJ
NWD
VA
NWD
IN
MVD
AL
SPD
FL
SPD
MI
MVD

<tbody>
</tbody>

It should be:

=INDEX($A$3:$A$10,MIN(IF($B$3:$N$10=$A12,ROW($A$3:$A$10)-ROW($A$3)+1)))

in accordance with $A$3:$A$10. Recall that you need to confirm the formula with control+shift+enter.

Upvote 0
Hello, this is very helpful and exactly what I'm looking to do, but I have two questions. When the value entered in A12 does not exist in b2:a9, why is the returned value LRD? And is there a way to return an error when there is no match? For example, A12=ZZ, B12=LRD, but this is misleading as ZZ is not in row 2.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello, this is very helpful and exactly what I'm looking to do, but I have two questions. When the value entered in A12 does not exist in b2:a9, why is the returned value LRD? And is there a way to return an error when there is no match? For example, A12=ZZ, B12=LRD, but this is misleading as ZZ is not in row 2.
Thanks!

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(COUNTIF($B$3:$N$10,$A12),MIN(IF($B$3:$N$10=$A12,ROW($A$3:$A$10)-ROW($A$3)+1)),NA())

will return #N/A if A12 is not available in the value range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back