LOOKUP from a table when your lookup value has a duplicate

badodok

Hi,

I think this question would have a simple solution but I can not seem to find the answer so I will try to post it instead. I have a table that has 77 names on the first column and their scores on the second column. I created another table using the LARGE function to find the top 10 scores out of the 77 entries. The problem is that I can not show the owners of the top 10 scores in the second table that I created because there is a duplicate in the scores. I used INDEX and MATCH and the duplicate scores would show 1 name as it would only lookup the first value the function sees from the table.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
why not use sorting function to sort the table based on socre column in decending order without use any formular?

Upvote 0
Or you could use this:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$77,MATCH(LARGE(INDEX($B$1:$B$77+ROW($B$1:$B$77)/10^9,,),ROWS($1:1)),INDEX($B$1:$B$77+ROW($B$1:$B$77)/10^9,,),0))

based on names in A1:A77 and scores in B1:B77.

Copy down as required.

Regards

Upvote 0
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this. I knew it would be possible with a formula, I just couldn't think of how. Temporarily, I added another column with numbers starting from 0.0001 and then dragged it down, used CONCATENATE to join it with column A since I only need to show whole numbers in the other table. "+ROW($B$1:$B$77)/10^9" was clever. Again, thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back