Macro Print Setup - To condense lengthy prep steps.

gabribasa

Hi Mr. Excel,

I'm using Excel 2007 and Windows XP.

1. General Question: How to create a madro to perform common "print set up" procedures. (Every time we print a "Checklist" we have to follow a series of steps... is it possible to have a macro do this?)

2. Background Info:
a. To update clients on items we still need, we have excel "checklists." When we recieve a series of items, we "hide" the rows for things we have. Then we print a pdf version and send it to the client.

The difficulty comes in setting up a method to print a nice looking checklist. Currently we have a method for printing completed customer "Checklists" that involves setting the print area (Always the same columns and rows since we are hiding not deleting. -Unless someone changes something and deletes.) And then we have to set the print "Scale" near 100%, and THEN move the print lines so that everything looks nice. (A page isn't printing in the middle of a specific list etc.)

Is there any way to have a macro select the section for us, set the scale as near to 100% as possible with keeping portrait and staying on one sheet for the width, and then allow us to simply move the print lines to look nice?
(We also have the first three rows printed as a "title" on the top of every printed page.)

3. Specific Values:
One checklist I am using right now has a print selection of columns A-G and rows 1-192. Rows 1-3 are repeated as titles on every page printed.

Thanks! I appreciate your help on this. (Knowing if a macor would work or if there is a better way entirely to do this.)

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
You could record a macro applying the Page Setup you want, or use Custom Views, which allow you to keep Page Setup settings.

HTH,

Upvote 0
"Recording a Macro" sounds simple but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that.
(While I am anxious to learn more about improving our processes involving excel... I personally know very little about advanced Excel/VB technique.)

Would you be so kind as to include a more detailed description of this process? (Or point me in the right direction?)

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
In Excel 2007/2010 goto the Developer Tab and hit "Record Macro". Then just set your Page Setup as you would normally and then going to Page Break Preview. Post back what you get here and someone can clean it up for you.

If you don't see the Developer tab then goto File-->Options-->Customize Ribbon and check "Developer" on the right-hand pane.

For Custom Views first have the page displayed the way it should be normally, then goto Views-->Custom Views, add a new view and name it "Normal". Then change your settings, including Page Setup and repeat for as many views as you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back