Macros on Individual Files Rolled Back?

Erick4

Hi everybody,

I'm new to posting in forums but I can't understand what just happened so I'd like to see if anybody can explain the "why" and the "how to keep it from never happening again".

At my work we have a workbook with several macros in it to perform table operations (basic reformatting and entry allocation). For example, I have a summary table that a person enters data into. A button is clicked (to run the macro) and the data is exported to a different excel sheet, in the same workbook, as a line-item entry. This is done repeatedly until all the line item entries have been setup, then the data is processed elsewhere.

There is a blank-read-only master copy that my colleagues save as to a different file name to work in. The macros are not global. They are attached to the file. So there are independent files on a shared network.

I added several columns to the line-item sheet and updated the macro accordingly back in June of this year (2015). A colleague used a version to complete some work last week in which the macro was creating line-item entries perfectly. Today, opening the same file, which was functioning properly, the macro has reverted to the edition before the extra columns were added. The table on the sheet has the correct columns, but the macro has rolled back.

But this didn't just happen to the single file. It happened across all files on the network. My C-drive versions appear to be safe. But I've never seen this or heard of anything like it. All the macros reverting while the files and sheets remaining untouched.

Please help if you can.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Welcome to MrExcel,

If the roll back you describe happened the way you think it did, then that was a very unusual occurrence!

When you say that "It happened across all files on the network", are you referring to all the files that had been created using SaveAs since June 2015?

The last modified dates on those files could help in trouble-shooting the cause. If all those files unexpectedly have last modified dates within the last week, that would increase the likelihood that a "Rollback" event occurred (although I can't imagine a scenario in which only the macro changes were reverted).

If the last modified dates have not been changed recently, I think it is more likely that the updated macros were not saved in the master workbook that everyone has been using.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I've looked at the dates and the master file was updated two weeks ago. The individual files have been updated as well but I am starting to think that in the process of updating the master file, someone may have grabbed an older version to work with which would have excluded the macros. Then they proceeded to copy over tables to match the formatting they could see.

That's the only way I can see the sheets being updated but the macros seemingly reverting to the previous version. I'll dig deeper into it and see if I find anything else because you are right in that this is an usual occurrence.

Thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back