jessejones68

I have cells in Column O that has a list of important companies. I have a list in column B that has a few hundred companies. I want to make the companies that are in column B highlight if they match an important company from column O. I pasted the data into column O so I can move it around anywhere or make it a list if need be its only about 25 companies. O8:O34 B8:B263

The column B data has duplicates in it and also has some blanks, Column O does not have any duplicates in it. As an added bonus the names in column B are not an exact match as the names in column O. Column B has a contract number after the name of the company that column O does not.

If there is a way to highlight the whole row when there is a match found that would be ideal but just the cell in column B would suffice.

Thank you for the help

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
if names are not an exact match, you must define the rules for an acceptable match.

I had a similar situation at work, so I sorted the list in name order then manually corrected typos etc

Upvote 0
if the contract code is in () is there a way to separate them into another cell kind of like changing first name last name = last name, first name?

Upvote 0
1st, as pointed out, if not an exact match, we will need to make some sort of rule to test for "approximation".
2. Can you give a representative (smallish, and anonymous) sample of what you are working with? both lists please.

I would probably use some variation on MATCH or countif

Upvote 0
In conditional formatting try the following formula:

=ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH($O$8:$O$34,$B8)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back