Matching concatenated values across columns VBA

Oregon92

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there!

I am trying to write VBA code to execute the following (visual screenshot attached)

If the concatenated store and zip code value (ex: Walmart98101) is repeated in any of the columns (ex: columns C, E and F), I need to ensure the value of row 1 is the same in each instance of the concatenation match. If the row 1 value does not match, I need a message box to display, alerting me of a mismatch (such would be the case with column E, as 2009 <> 2003). The message box is simple, but I have been going back and forth on how the code should look to align to the logic above, but can’t figure it out. It seems like I am making it more difficult than it needs to be. I thought I had something, but then realized I was only comparing to the immediate right column, instead of comparing across all columns. So in my example screenshot, although there are 3 instances of Walmart98101, my code wasn’t able to recognize any of them.

I appreciate any help, guidance or direction in advance!

Attachments

• img8.png
    img8.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
See if this does what you want

VBA Code:
Sub CheckStoreZip()
  Dim d As Object
  Dim a As Variant
  Dim j As Long
  Dim s As String, sMsg As String

Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  a = Range("C1", Range("C1").End(xlToRight)).Resize(4).Value
  For j = 1 To UBound(a, 2)
    s = a(2, j) & a(4, j) & ": "
    If InStr(1, d(s) & ",", "," & a(1, j) & ",") = 0 Then d(s) = d(s) & "," & a(1, j)
  Next j
  For j = 1 To d.Count
    If InStr(2, d.Items()(j - 1), ",") > 0 Then sMsg = sMsg & vbLf & d.Keys()(j - 1) & Mid(d.Items()(j - 1), 2)
  Next
  If Len(sMsg) > 0 Then MsgBox "Check these:" & sMsg
End Sub

For this sample data ..

Oregon92.xlsm
CDEFGHIJK
2WalmartFred MeyerWalmartWalmartWalmartWalmartOtherOtherOther
Sheet1

.. this is the code result ..

1650432364233.png

Upvote 0
Solution
See if this does what you want

VBA Code:
Sub CheckStoreZip()
  Dim d As Object
  Dim a As Variant
  Dim j As Long
  Dim s As String, sMsg As String

Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  a = Range("C1", Range("C1").End(xlToRight)).Resize(4).Value
  For j = 1 To UBound(a, 2)
    s = a(2, j) & a(4, j) & ": "
    If InStr(1, d(s) & ",", "," & a(1, j) & ",") = 0 Then d(s) = d(s) & "," & a(1, j)
  Next j
  For j = 1 To d.Count
    If InStr(2, d.Items()(j - 1), ",") > 0 Then sMsg = sMsg & vbLf & d.Keys()(j - 1) & Mid(d.Items()(j - 1), 2)
  Next
  If Len(sMsg) > 0 Then MsgBox "Check these:" & sMsg
End Sub

For this sample data ..

Oregon92.xlsm
CDEFGHIJK
2WalmartFred MeyerWalmartWalmartWalmartWalmartOtherOtherOther
Sheet1

.. this is the code result ..

View attachment 62809
Hi Peter!

First off, thank you so much for your help! Let me add a little more context, clarification below.

I have to validate a handful of things, and this is one of the earlier stages of the validation. Before I continue to validate additional steps, I need to first ensure that the criteria checks out, otherwise, I will display a message box and alert the user that the code is going to end because the validation failed - aka, the row 1 values didn't match up correctly against the row 2 and row 4 concatenation value.

Sometimes there aren't any direct matches between the concatenation of rows 2 and 4 across any of the columns. That's totally fine. In the case that there are 2+ column matches, I need to validate that the row 1 value is also the same for all of those matches. If the row 1 value is different for any of them, that's when I would display the message and end the code.

My original thought process was to create a loop, that takes the row 2/row 4 concatenated value and searches all the columns to see if a match exists. If it doesn't find a match, the loop continues (column d, row 2/row 4 concatenated value across columns C, E and F). If it does find a match, it compares the row 1 value across the columns that match, to ensure that the row 1 value matches, and if not, displays the message and ends the code. I'm just not sure how that would work, without running into an issue.

I think your code will work! I ran it and changed the values around a bit, to create specific scenarios that would and wouldn't cause a pop-up message. It seemed to display a message when I was hoping it would, and for the times where everything checked out, a message wasn't displayed (which is also what I hoped). I've never used the createobject dictionary and the rest of the code was also way over my head so I'm not 100% sure if it's working as intended or not. With the additional context I provided, is there any reason you would change anything, or do you feel comfortable with the results as is?

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
Hi Peter!

First off, thank you so much for your help! Let me add a little more context, clarification below.

I have to validate a handful of things, and this is one of the earlier stages of the validation. Before I continue to validate additional steps, I need to first ensure that the criteria checks out, otherwise, I will display a message box and alert the user that the code is going to end because the validation failed - aka, the row 1 values didn't match up correctly against the row 2 and row 4 concatenation value.

Sometimes there aren't any direct matches between the concatenation of rows 2 and 4 across any of the columns. That's totally fine. In the case that there are 2+ column matches, I need to validate that the row 1 value is also the same for all of those matches. If the row 1 value is different for any of them, that's when I would display the message and end the code.

My original thought process was to create a loop, that takes the row 2/row 4 concatenated value and searches all the columns to see if a match exists. If it doesn't find a match, the loop continues (column d, row 2/row 4 concatenated value across columns C, E and F). If it does find a match, it compares the row 1 value across the columns that match, to ensure that the row 1 value matches, and if not, displays the message and ends the code. I'm just not sure how that would work, without running into an issue.

I think your code will work! I ran it and changed the values around a bit, to create specific scenarios that would and wouldn't cause a pop-up message. It seemed to display a message when I was hoping it would, and for the times where everything checked out, a message wasn't displayed (which is also what I hoped). I've never used the createobject dictionary and the rest of the code was also way over my head so I'm not 100% sure if it's working as intended or not. With the additional context I provided, is there any reason you would change anything, or do you feel comfortable with the results as is?

Thank you again!
You know what, I think this is perfect. Seems to be doing what it needs to, I just don't necessarily understand how you did it, haha. AMAZING WORK!

Upvote 0
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back