Merging Datasets

Vuzye

Good Afternoon,

I’m currently working on a project at work that involves looking at two spreadsheets and adding new information fields like x, y, z to the existing dataset.

One is created by myself and the other one is an imported list from an official source.

The data is currently only in the range of around 2000 cells which is relatively small, however, it remains tedious to import the new information. Also, the main goal of the project is to keep this for future references when the imported list becomes updated later.

My main issue arises is that I familiar with excel at an intermediate level, however, I just started learning to program in VBA / excel with occasional side projects on python.

Therefore, I can relate what I want to do in plain English, but translating that to a macro or program that can execute it flawlessly is a difficult task.

My issue arises is that these two spreadsheets contain similar data, but sometimes it is not exact.

For Example list 1 contains Town of ABC and List 2 contains ABC with an additional column that contains Town

List 1: Column 1 = Town of ABC,
List 2: Column 1 = ABC, Column 2 = Town

Therefore, I would need to perform an approximate match or “fuzzy” lookup so that the macro recognizes this is the same piece of data.

Then the additional issue would be when the information is matched, I would need to import a new piece of data, let’s call this column 3.

So basically, does Column 1 in spreadsheet 1 approx equal to Column 1 and column 2 in spreadsheet 2.

I would make sure this is refined correctly because it will be uploaded to our CRM system and then segmented based on the additional criteria (column 3)

I have no starting point in how to approach this situation, so I am looking for any help/recommendations to help me start this mini project and ultimately accomplish this task.

Additional questions:

· if the name of the spreadsheet 2 changes it when I import it, I want to be able to adjust the code at a future date with it performing the same task as before, I’m thinking if I change the name to the new spreadsheet, it will be seamless.

· Would it be easier to import the data into access and automate through there?? I’m thinking the goal is to create a relational database.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back