modify code to make all words Proper case , not just all Upper case

steve400243

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I use this code to make all letters capitol letters, Need to modify it so that it changes all words to proper case. I cannot figure it out with multiple google searches.

For instance HAPPY DAYS to Happy Days. Thanks for your help forum Experts.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim cell   As Range
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each cell In Target
        cell = vbProperCase(cell)
    Next
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Sub RunOnce()
Dim c As Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    c = vbProperCase(c)
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Re: Proper case code not working correctly

Wow, that was easy, the one thing I didn't try.... Thanks a lot for your help Mark, have a nice weekend.

If cell.Column > 2 Then

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

You're welcome (a bit surprised Rick didn't find a way to do it with one of his evaluate codes though :biggrin:).

Upvote 0

At the time I only asked for it to exclude Column B, which it did. It was after that that I needed it for Column A also.

Upvote 0

I did not write the original code nor did I examine exactly what it was doing, I simply added the missing statement that caused the error. But you are right, there is an Evaluate solution available...
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Target.Value = Evaluate("PROPER(" & Target.Address & ")")
End Sub

Thanks again Rick, I will try this this one also. Your solution yesterday worked fine. Have a nice weekend.

Upvote 0

You're welcome (a bit surprised Rick didn't find a way to do it with one of his evaluate codes though :biggrin:).
I did not write the original code nor did I examine exactly what it was doing, I simply added the missing statement that caused the error. But you are right, there is an Evaluate solution... see below.

Thanks again Rick, I will try this this one also. Your solution yesterday worked fine. Have a nice weekend.
You were too quick for me. I actually deleted that one as it did not restrict the action to Column C and greater plus it had a couple of potential problems. This is the code you should use...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  On Error Resume Next
  Target.Value = Evaluate(Replace("IF(@="""","""",IF(COLUMN(@)>2,PROPER(@),@))", "@", Target.Address))
  On Error GoTo 0
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Note: The two On Error lines of code are there to protect against you deleting all the cells on the sheet at once... if you will never be doing that, you can remove them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks again, could you please explain this (Replace("IF(@="""","""",IF(COLUMN(@)>2,PROPER(@),@))", "@"

Upvote 0

Thanks again, could you please explain this (Replace("IF(@="""","""",IF(COLUMN(@)>2,PROPER(@),@))", "@"
The argument to the Evaluate function is a text string... the @ symbol is simply a place holder for a longer piece of text and the VBA Replace function substitutes the address for the Target range for those @ symbols. Doing it this way makes the Excel formula that I am constructing for the Evaluate function easier to read while I am developing it, otherwise I every place you see an @ symbol, I would have had to manually type the following into the text at their locations...

" & Target.Address & "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The argument to the Evaluate function is a text string... the @ symbol is simply a place holder for a longer piece of text and the VBA Replace function substitutes the address for the Target range for those @ symbols. Doing it this way makes the Excel formula that I am constructing for the Evaluate function easier to read while I am developing it, otherwise I every place you see an @ symbol, I would have had to manually type the following into the text at their locations...

" & Target.Address & "

Ah ok, thank you for explaining. I have never seen that done before. Have a nice weekend.

Upvote 0

Ah ok, thank you for explaining. I have never seen that done before. Have a nice weekend.
I invented it... well, more probably rediscovered it as it would be hard to believe in all the years VB has been included with Excel that I am the only one too lazy to want to type all the extra text when a simpler method existed.:wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nnnyyy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back