Multi list problems - Newbie

Darren Guess

Hi

I am a new user to form controls and VBA and I know most of you will be thinking I could search for the answer, but after around 4 hours of reading posts I am still a little confused and can't find what I'm looking for, as they all go a little more complex

All I need is a List Box that a user can select multiple options. once selected these enter in to another cell (conmma seperated, or carriage returned). Cell "J17"

Previously I had a free text box that individuals could fill out with any text, but my Director now wants some 'sanitised data entries' only to be selectable.

I do not want to make it too complex or flash, so was against using a User Form (unless necessary), I would just like to embed a list box and size it to the same as a cell, which would scroll as required. Also could the list box be placed over the cell I want the data to end up in "J17"?

I would then like to hard code the list as below, so users could not add or change the selections.

Spares Shortages - MAEL to supply
Spares Shortages - Customer to supply
Awaiting repair scheme from Airbus
Awaiting repair scheme from Boeing
Awaiting final repair approval - Airbus
Awaiting final repair approval - Boeing
Positive planned progress being achieved
Unplanned issues being encountered

I'm sure this will be fairly simple for the advanced users out there, so I appreciate the help and the steep learning curve I am on

Best Regards
Darren

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, if this will allow my users to select multiple items from a list and then the data is auto populated in to another cell, I would be happy with this solution.

Without reading another rake of posts, could you explain to me how this is set up? It would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Darren

Upvote 0
What about a validation list?

I too thought that. However, the needed multi-select is missing.

I am thinking using an ActiveX listbox.
with some VBA to populate, show/hide when a target cell is triggered and to place its value into J17 in the appropriate fashon.

I do not have any examples as of yet...

Upvote 0
Hi Daniellel

That is a very good link & I will definately use this for future requirements, but I cannot see that it allows multiple selections from a 'Drop down list'?

I need a multi selection requirement as we may have more than one of the conditions on the list at the same time.

This is how I ended up thinking I would need something like a list box?

Is it more complex than I may have first thought?

Upvote 0
Hi Daniellel

That is a very good link & I will definately use this for future requirements, but I cannot see that it allows multiple selections from a 'Drop down list'?

I need a multi selection requirement as we may have more than one of the conditions on the list at the same time.

This is how I ended up thinking I would need something like a list box?

Is it more complex than I may have first thought?

Hi Darren, I am myself just a beginner so can not answer your question. I only thought I knew the answer as I just did this last week!

Sorry again, Hope you find what you need...

Upvote 0
Good Afternoon All

I appreciate your feedback from my first post and although I didn't get the solution I was looking for, it gave me more info to search for a resolution. I have now created a user form that is activated when the user selects cell "J17". Most of the code is from (this post), slightly modified.

This has a ListBox1 and CommandButton1 (Okay)

I now require a couple of tweaks to make it work 100%.

Firstly when a user selects multiple items from the list and selects the 'Okay' button the form should close - which it does, but takes several clicks of the 'Okay' button. What have I missed here? It's almost as if the more selections the more clicks to close?

Secondly I would like to wrap the items on the list when the text is transferred the cell the list points to "J17", what additional code would be required?

Lastly if I were to add another button 'Clear' would I be able to use a simple statement to clear all of the items from cell "J17" to allow the user to start again with the list?

Hopefully I have attached the code tag correctly

In the UserForm code I have used

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    With ListBox1
        .List = Range("E78:E85").Value    'Range of cells with the list Reasons
        .MultiSelect = fmMultiSelectMulti
    End With

UserForm1.Caption = "Select Reason"
    CommandButton1.Caption = "Okay"

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim i As Long, strTemp As String
    With ListBox1
        For i = 0 To .ListCount - 1
            If .Selected(i) Then strTemp = strTemp & .List(i) & ", "
        Next i
    End With
    If Len(strTemp) Then
        strTemp = Left(strTemp, Len(strTemp) - 2)
        ActiveCell.Value = strTemp
    End If
    Unload Me

End Sub

Code in the worksheet

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Count >= 1 Then
        'Range of cells to have the pop-up userform
        If Not Intersect(Range("J17"), Target) Is Nothing Then
            UserForm1.Show
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Many Thanks for your help, I am slowly learning

Best Regards
Darren

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back