multiple nesting formula to eliminate the False entry

scotorsic

I have a formula to place a value in a cell based on the data entered in another cell. I would like to cells where not evaluation data has been entered to remain blank and not return the "False" the formula is

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("2",E2)),0.02,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("8",E2)),0.08,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("1",E2)),0.1,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("3",E2)),0.2))))

I have tried to insert the double quotation marks ("") in various places but have not found the key.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Try this:
Code:
=IF(ISBLANK(E2),"",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("2",E2)),0.02,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("8",E2)),0.08,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("1",E2)),0.1,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("3",E2)),0.2)))))

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("2",E2)),0.02,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("8",E2)),0.08,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("1",E2)),0.1,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("3",E2)),0.2,""))))

or

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2^14,FIND({3,1,8,2},E2),{0.2,0.1,0.08,0.02}),"")

Notice that the search order is reversed. In case of multiple matches, this is required to preserve the order of your conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to study this some more. The first response solved the issue, but this looks much more straight forward. What does the 2^14 represent? Can you convert this into plain text logic?
I do appreciate the fast response!

Upvote 0
Here's how the LOOKUP works. Let's say you have ABC8 in E2.

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2^14,FIND({3,1,8,2},E2),{0.2,0.1,0.08,0.02}),"")

The FIND looks for all 4 values in the array constant {3,1,8,2} and returns an array with the results: {#VALUE ,#VALUE ,4,#VALUE }.

The LOOKUP now looks for the lookup value (2^14) in that array, ignoring error values. If the value is not found, it locates the rightmost value. The maximum length of a cell is 32,767 characters, so that's the largest value FIND can return, so if you choose a number larger than that, it will force LOOKUP to pick the rightmost value. (2^14 =16,384, I should have used 2^15
:oops: ).
Then LOOKUP takes the value from the second array in the same position as the value it located.

Hope this explains things!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back