Multiple Vlookups

RichJW

Board Regular
Hi all,
I have an existing spreadsheet, which has had 3 new tabs added to it.
In the original tab (TAB-A), I need to perform a vlookup on the data in column A, looking in the 3 new tabs for the data. The thing that makes it a little complex, is that if it finds the data in the 1st new tab (TAB-B), I need it to paste data into columns U-AE of TAB-A. If it finds the data in TAB-C, then I need the data pasted into columns AF-AQ. If it finds the data in TAB-D, then I need the data pasting into columns AR-BM.
The data in column A will be unique, but could be in any of the 3 new tabs, so the formula will need to look at all tabs.

Is this even possible with a standard vlookup/index/match formula, or will it require a macro? Can the macro add the formula?

Thanks,
Rich

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi, don't you just need 3 distinct VLOOKUP() functions - one that references Tab-B in U:AE, one that references Tab-C in AF:AQ and one that references Tab-D in AR:BM?

Upvote 0
Thanks FormR.
I guessed I'm confused, as I've got macros in this workbook to upload worksheets from other workbooks, format them, add 42 additional columns, but then how does adding a vlookup macro work, as the cell reference will change constantly?

For example, the top/first vlookup formula (cell U5) is =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A5,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$P$100,4,FALSE),""). Cell V5 next to it will show =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A5,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$P$100,5,FALSE),""). Cell U6 (below U5) will show =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A6,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$P$100,4,FALSE),""). Cell V6 shows =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A6,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$P$100,5,FALSE),"").
How would I write a macro to allow for the changes, all the way from cell U5 to BJ100? The data I want to lookup is always in column A.

Sorry - and thanks!

Rich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, you could increment the col_index_num like this:

Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A5,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$P$100,COLUMNS($U5:U5)+3,FALSE),"")

Or you could use INDEX(MATCH()) for example:

Rich (BB code):
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A5,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$B$100)),INDEX('Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!E$3:E$100,MATCH($A5,'Tracker - T&M Dashboard'!$B$3:$B$100,0)),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheLastLinuxUser

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back