Multiply Two Parts of the Same Number Based on Less Than/ Greater Than.

rxharp419

Board Regular
Hello,

I am trying to have a formula multiply two separate parts of a single number that is in a single cell.

i.e. I have the number 14, I want a formula to know that any number less than or equal to the number 8 is to be multiplied by the Straight time rate and any number greater than 8 will be multiplied by the Overtime rate.

I don’t want to have to put straight time in one cell and overtime in another. I would like it to be one number.

I appreciate anyone’s help in advance.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
It would be very nice if you could show us the manual calculation that is involved when A2 = 14.

Hello. I am not sure what you mean. Bascically the cell A1 can be any number, 14, 18, 8... A2 would be the cell with a formula that I am trying obtain. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hello. I am not sure what you mean. Bascically the cell A1 can be any number, 14, 18, 8... A2 would be the cell with a formula that I am trying obtain. I hope this helps.

You said: "I am trying to have a formula multiply two separate parts of a single number that is in a single cell.

i.e. I have the number 14, I want a formula to know that any number less than or equal to the number 8 is to be multiplied by the Straight time rate and any number greater than 8 will be multiplied by the Overtime rate."

Give a manually calculated example or two... If that's not possible or not intelligible, please ignore my request.

Upvote 0
You said: "I am trying to have a formula multiply two separate parts of a single number that is in a single cell.

i.e. I have the number 14, I want a formula to know that any number less than or equal to the number 8 is to be multiplied by the Straight time rate and any number greater than 8 will be multiplied by the Overtime rate."

Give a manually calculated example or two... If that's not possible or not intelligible, please ignore my request.

RatesTotal Hours WorkedTotal Pay
ST$50.0014
OT$70.00
I want that 14 total hours worked to be multiplied by 8 straight time hours of pay and 6 overtime hours of pay into cell H3. H3 needs a formula in it that knows how to calculate the first 8 hours out of 14 hours by straight time and any numbers after 8 (14-8=6) in this case which would be 6 multiplied by OT.

I was trying some like IF(H2>=8*A2)AND (H2<8*A3), OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I need help to make something work.

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin!

That actually works great! But, if H2 is blank, the number shows up. Is there a way to have it stay blank with no number if H2 is blank?

This is the formula I have: =IF(ISBLANK(T8),"",IF(T8='SGS Wages & Rates'!$B$102,MIN(8,U8)*V8+MAX(0,U8-8)*W8,(V8)+(W8*U8))). I cant get it to stay blank.

If it were a simpler formula like this: =IF(ISBLANK(U8),"",MIN(8,U8)*V8+MAX(0,U88)*W8) - Then I can get it to stay blank. I am unable to with the above, however.

Thank you again for all of your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back