Multiplying Ranges, Array

CR2515

1) mathematically can someone tell me whats going on or the steps taken when one range of cell is selected and multiplied by another range or cells?

thanks.

bkZULJi.png

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
1) mathematically can someone tell me whats going on or the steps taken when one range of cell is selected and multiplied by another range or cells?

thanks.

bkZULJi.png

What are you seeking to do? All you have done is to select two ranges, Excell doen't know what to do with them. If you used the Function SUMPRODUCT for instance you would have the result of L2*O2 +M2*P2 +L3*O3+M3*P3.
I think that if you wanted something matrix multiplication, as in determinants for equation solving, you would have to use a macro.

Upvote 0
5 is the first cell of matrix result, See below

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
1​
2​
5​
6​
5​
12​
3​
4​
7​
8​
21​
32​

<tbody>
</tbody>

I selected the gray area and entered this array formula
=A2:B3*D2:E3
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks. What is Excel saying? Why does it select the first cell in the matrix valued 5 when CSE is performed?

Upvote 0
It is saving you having to write 4 separate formulae, one for the first cell etc; you get them all in one instance.

when I emulated Marcelo I CSE into G2 and then dragged the formulae around the array, not as efficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. What is Excel saying? Why does it select the first cell in the matrix valued 5 when CSE is performed?

Because you've selected and entered the formula in only one cell, Excel, obeying orders, has returned only the first cell of the matrix result.
That's it.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavesib

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back