My Macros are making my cry :-(

Leila-Marie

Board Regular
Hi all,

My macros are making me cry - it's awful.

I accidentally saved some of them to "this worksheet" before I was told here that I need to be saving them to XLSTART.

I've been doing that, but nothing is working... I don't know where XLSTART is, to see what's in there...

I don't know if I need to be saving my worksheets INTO XLSTART to make the macros work, instead of where I'd be saving them normally?

I'm so confused that I'm tempted to delete all the macros I have set up and start afresh.

But I don't know if that will help, cos I may be doing it wrong again...?

Unfortunately I'm under time-pressure with this work assignment, so every macro that comes up with an error message is wracking my nerves - which is never good for trying to analytically find the source of your error...

Even new macros that I'm recording in an opened worksheet are "doing nothing"... Very odd. (Tho that may be cos I had an older version of Excel open too, and I think that was "hogging" the XLSTART file/ folder.

Do I need to shut off Excel and start it up again, before macros are "available" for new worksheets?

Oh, and when I try and use macros that are already saved in the XLSTART folder, Excel tells me that that folder is "hidden" (or whatever the correct translation is - I'm working in Europe currently, using a foreign language version of Excel, so I'm guessing at the right vocabulary here...) It tells me to "un-hide" / "make visible" the XLSTART folder, but I don't know where it is, or how to un-hide it...

Do these questions make sense to anyone here? I'd be so happy to stop being on the verge of tears... boohoo :eek:

A thousand million trillion thanks,

Leila-Marie

If you type alt-F11 (or select the macro from the list and press Step Into) do you see Personal.XLS in the project window?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
If you type alt-F11 (or select the macro from the list and press Step Into) do you see Personal.XLS in the project window?

Nope, since I just "hid" PERSONAL.XLSB in the XLSTART folder, I can't see it in the project window any more either, or any of the macros that were in it previously.

I honestly can't work out how to unhide it again, even with the above instructions, but I am still trying...

Upvote 0
Okay - I've just restored yesterday's version of XLSTART, so now I can also see yesterday's version of PERSONAL.XLSB in there again too... phew.

Upvote 0
I also seem to have managed to now delete all macros so far (which I was trying to do).

:eek:

*** Edit *** missed the important part of that sentence "(which I was trying to do)" Now I don't feel bad at all ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad you got it, because I was out of ideas (other than rebooting). I remember trying to do something like this a year or two ago and reaching the personal workbook through windows was a major pain. Recording a test macro to the personal workbook and then copying regular modules to it when needed was my remedy, but that didn't seem to work for you.

Upvote 0
Well, I thought I'd better start afresh, as this was such a mess.

The macros I have had I can re-do easily.

If the whole thing would just work without everything going weird.

Upvote 0
G Recording a test macro to the personal workbook and then copying regular modules to it when needed was my remedy, but that didn't seem to work for you.

Yes, this is what I've been trying to do too, to cheat.

But it's still not really solving my problems - it's *sort* of working, but not really, so yeah...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back