My Macros are making my cry :-(

Leila-Marie

Board Regular
Hi all,

My macros are making me cry - it's awful.

I accidentally saved some of them to "this worksheet" before I was told here that I need to be saving them to XLSTART.

I've been doing that, but nothing is working... I don't know where XLSTART is, to see what's in there...

I don't know if I need to be saving my worksheets INTO XLSTART to make the macros work, instead of where I'd be saving them normally?

I'm so confused that I'm tempted to delete all the macros I have set up and start afresh.

But I don't know if that will help, cos I may be doing it wrong again...?

Unfortunately I'm under time-pressure with this work assignment, so every macro that comes up with an error message is wracking my nerves - which is never good for trying to analytically find the source of your error...

Even new macros that I'm recording in an opened worksheet are "doing nothing"... Very odd. (Tho that may be cos I had an older version of Excel open too, and I think that was "hogging" the XLSTART file/ folder.

Do I need to shut off Excel and start it up again, before macros are "available" for new worksheets?

Oh, and when I try and use macros that are already saved in the XLSTART folder, Excel tells me that that folder is "hidden" (or whatever the correct translation is - I'm working in Europe currently, using a foreign language version of Excel, so I'm guessing at the right vocabulary here...) It tells me to "un-hide" / "make visible" the XLSTART folder, but I don't know where it is, or how to un-hide it...

Do these questions make sense to anyone here? I'd be so happy to stop being on the verge of tears... boohoo :eek:

A thousand million trillion thanks,

Leila-Marie

Glad you got it, because I was out of ideas (other than rebooting). I remember trying to do something like this a year or two ago and reaching the personal workbook through windows was a major pain. Recording a test macro to the personal workbook and then copying regular modules to it when needed was my remedy, but that didn't seem to work for you.

Would it not be easier to just write all the macro's on a worksheet and then run them through an add-in menu or something along the lines of that. Sounds like a lot of effort recording them for use, especially when all this jazz occurs

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Would it not be easier to just write all the macro's on a worksheet and then run them through an add-in menu or something along the lines of that. Sounds like a lot of effort recording them for use, especially when all this jazz occurs

I don't know how to use the add-in stuff... I figure I'd get even more confused there?

And Excel is still telling me that PERSONAL.XLSB is "hidden" even tho it's now un-hidden again (as it was originally, when I was also getting this error message). I can see PERSONAL.XLSB in the project window again too now, but apparently Excel still thinks it's hidden.

Upvote 0
Because I did notice that Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 were kind of "competing" for the XLSTART folder and the PERSONAL.XLSB ?

Upvote 0
My guess is no but you can test by just running one at a time

Yeah - I tried that, but that's not helping either. I thought maybe I'd need to un-install one.

This is so weird, because it was working well a few days ago. It's not like I've not gotten it to work before.

I think I'm going to take a break and read up a bit on macros and try and see if I'm doing something really stupid wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time, huh?)

Thanks so much for your thoughts and sorry that this doesn't seem to be making any sense.

XXX
L-M

Upvote 0
It sounds like you are hiding the personal workbook in XLSTART.You don't hide it there, open your workbook as normal and you should get both workbooks open and then you go to the windows tab and hide the personal workbook there just so both workbooks aren't visible each time you open Excel but in reality both are open.

Upvote 0
Yeah - I tried that, but that's not helping either. I thought maybe I'd need to un-install one.

This is so weird, because it was working well a few days ago. It's not like I've not gotten it to work before.

I think I'm going to take a break and read up a bit on macros and try and see if I'm doing something really stupid wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time, huh?)

Thanks so much for your thoughts and sorry that this doesn't seem to be making any sense.

XXX
L-M

I've seen people do it before with 2007 and 2010, but never 2003 and 2012, but one thing I know you need to do when running both 2007 and 2012 is to ensure that you install the oldest version first and then the newest one. I know there are a few other things that you need to do, but I can't quiet recall what they were just google it and see what other people have to say

Upvote 0
It sounds like you are hiding the personal workbook in XLSTART.You don't hide it there, open your workbook as normal and you should get both workbooks open and then you go to the windows tab and hide the personal workbook there just so both workbooks aren't visible each time you open Excel but in reality both are open.

Hmm, it seems to be doing that already. The PERSONAL workbook is "open" but I can't see it.
However, when I try to use the macros, Excel gives me an error message, saying the workbook is hidden and that I should un-hide it. Where exactly do I do that? (Sorry, I don't understand from what you've posted in the quote)

Upvote 0
:cool: For some reason it's working now. All is fine. I don't know why. I don't know how I repaired it. It's decided to be nice to me (for now).

Thank you so much for your patience and your help.

(Not crying anymore now) ;)

XXX

Leila-Marie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmac

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back