My Macros are making my cry :-(

Leila-Marie

Board Regular
Hi all,

My macros are making me cry - it's awful.

I accidentally saved some of them to "this worksheet" before I was told here that I need to be saving them to XLSTART.

I've been doing that, but nothing is working... I don't know where XLSTART is, to see what's in there...

I don't know if I need to be saving my worksheets INTO XLSTART to make the macros work, instead of where I'd be saving them normally?

I'm so confused that I'm tempted to delete all the macros I have set up and start afresh.

But I don't know if that will help, cos I may be doing it wrong again...?

Unfortunately I'm under time-pressure with this work assignment, so every macro that comes up with an error message is wracking my nerves - which is never good for trying to analytically find the source of your error...

Even new macros that I'm recording in an opened worksheet are "doing nothing"... Very odd. (Tho that may be cos I had an older version of Excel open too, and I think that was "hogging" the XLSTART file/ folder.

Do I need to shut off Excel and start it up again, before macros are "available" for new worksheets?

Oh, and when I try and use macros that are already saved in the XLSTART folder, Excel tells me that that folder is "hidden" (or whatever the correct translation is - I'm working in Europe currently, using a foreign language version of Excel, so I'm guessing at the right vocabulary here...) It tells me to "un-hide" / "make visible" the XLSTART folder, but I don't know where it is, or how to un-hide it...

Do these questions make sense to anyone here? I'd be so happy to stop being on the verge of tears... boohoo :eek:

A thousand million trillion thanks,

Leila-Marie

:cool: For some reason it's working now. All is fine. I don't know why. I don't know how I repaired it. It's decided to be nice to me (for now).

Thank you so much for your patience and your help.

(Not crying anymore now) ;)

XXX

Leila-Marie

Well if you ever figure out post it back here as it would be nice to know why it all went pear shaped and how to fix it in the event that it does :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Leila-Marie, I will try and take you through it when I am in front my PC and not my phone in a few hours time

Upvote 0
Well if you ever figure out post it back here as it would be nice to know why it all went pear shaped and how to fix it in the event that it does :)

Yep, I know. I will have to mull over that a bit. I think I may have a vague idea... But not sure. I promise to post it here tho, if it seems to make sense.

One of the things that I accidentally did, that was making matters worse, is that I clicked on the "relative recording" button at some point, not realising what it was. Then my macros DEFINITELY started going pear shaped. Once I turned that back on, things were better - or at least, one less reason to cry.

Also, I deleted all the macros I had and started from scratch. When I started using them a week ago, I (unknowingly) saved them to "this file"... I am used to using macros in Word - and as far as I know, you don't have those issues there (do you?) The macros I've used there were available for all Word files on my computer. (Tho what I never figured out was how to email a word document to someone and have the macro needed for that file emailed along with it... But that's a Word question, not an Excel question.)

Closed both versions of Excel (actually I did that multiple times over, just to be sure, haha). And I also rebooted a couple of times, to try and get things back to square one.

Oddly, Excel 2010 and Excel 2003 now seem to have started up separate PERSONAL files - 2010 has the PERSONAL.XLSB and 2003 has set up a file called PERSONL.xls (yep, PERSONAL without the A)

I'm thinking that for my macro work, I'm going to stick to the 2010 version, so at least there are no sources of error from switching between versions.

(I still have 2003 versions of Word and Excel, cos I learned some neat ways of doing stuff over the years, and I'm still not totally used to the 2010 versions where EVERYTHING is different, boohoo. So I keep the 2003 versions on hand, just in case I need to do something tricky that 2010 is driving me nuts with...)

Oh, also one other thing that was causing difficulty is that when I clicked on the project window, I was clicking on "Edit" for the macros, when I wanted to look at them/ edit them - which is where I was getting that error message about the PERSONAL file (where the macro was saved to) being hidden.

So I had to click on the button above that - not sure what that's called in the English version (? - using a foreign language version, here) - something like "Step" ? Anyway - using that button allowd me to view and edit the macros without the error message.

So, I think that sum of issues was creating total havoc for me... At the moment it seems like I have it under control again. At least, Excel is now doing what I need it to do. it's probably not very elegant or fancy, but as long as it's DOING to the data, what I need it to do - and doing it reliably and predictably - and doing it in new files too, when I open/ create those... - well, then I'm happy.

I'm sure I'll learn more/ better macro skills as I go along, but for now I'm very Zen if my little macros are helping me do my work and that's that for now.

(Don't fix what ain't broken, huh?) ;)

Many thanks and lots of brilliant Excel-Karma to you,

You guys are a god-send.

XXX

Leila-Marie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back