Need help with drop down and formula

SMAsh67

Hi, I am a total novice and trying to figure out a bunch of stuff in excel 2016 so that I can create a form. I'm doing fairly well but now I'm stuck...

I'm trying to make multiple drop-down lists (I've made them using data validation) that have 3 options: Yes, No, N/A. I would like the 'No' option in each drop down to deduct a number value. So for instance, drop down 1 if No is selected it deducts 5 points from a cell with a value of 100%. Then, drop down 2 if No is selected it deducts 20 points from the same previously mentioned cell with the 100% value (which would now have a value of 95%) to make it now total 75%. There are several of these. I never want the total to be negative (i.e. -200) I want the cell that starts at 100%, to go no lower than 0.

Ultimately I would have a way (button?) to reset all of the drop downs to the default of 'Yes' if possible, but at the moment I'm focused on the problem I have described above.

For sake of the layout and the aesthetics, I need to use drop downs. I am not opposed to using VB or ActiveX I just don't understand them very well yet.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Is this what you need:
If dropdowns in A1;A2;A3
Value in B1=1-IF(A1="No",0.05,0)-IF(A2="No",0.2,0)-IF(A3="No";0.2,0)
Format B1 as percentage

If by any change total deduction can be more than a 100 and you want to avoid that, try =MAX(0,1-IF(A1="No",0.05,0)-IF(A2="No",0.2,0)-IF(A3="No";0.2,0))

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back