Need help with formula

zazybang

I have 3 columns, column A, B, and C. Column A has names while column B and C have numbers. There are 10 rows in total. I wish to find the highest sum of a row to see which employee did the best for what i am doing. Once the highest sum is found i wish for the employees name, that is linked with that sum to appear in the cell that i type the formula in.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I have 3 columns, column A, B, and C. Column A has names while column B and C have numbers. There are 10 rows in total. I wish to find the highest sum of a row to see which employee did the best for what i am doing. Once the highest sum is found i wish for the employees name, that is linked with that sum to appear in the cell that i type the formula in.

It's an array formula so you have to Ctrl+Shift+Enter after paste.

{ =INDEX($A$1:$A$10,MATCH(MAX($B$1:$B$10+$C$1:$C$10),$B$1:$B$10+$C$1:$C$10,0)) }

Have a nice day ;)

Upvote 0
@ zazybang
@Flashbond

There can be more than one employee which achive the same maximum sum...

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
1​
2​
kad
5​
4​
kad
3​
jad
4​
4​
vad
4​
vad
4​
5​
5​
nad
3​
1​
6​
vad
2​
6​
7​

In E2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$6,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$6+$C$2:$C$6=MAX($B$2:$B$6+$C$2:$C$6),
    ROW($A$2:$A$6)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($E$2:E2))),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks! Though if it doesnt bother you, may you breakdown the use of the SMALL function and what it means to (ROW)-(ROW)+1. Ive never understood ROW functions nor SMALL

Upvote 0
Thanks! Though if it doesnt bother you, may you breakdown the use of the SMALL function and what it means to (ROW)-(ROW)+1. Ive never understood ROW functions nor SMALL

INDEX(resultrange,SMALL(IF(testrange=test,ROW(testrange)-ROW(INDEX(testrange,1,1))+1),ROWS(expandingimplementationrange))

Filled in with a concrete example...

INDEX($A$2:$A$6,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$6="qad",ROW($B$2:$B$6)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROWS($E$2:E2)

where

[1] $A$2:$A$6 >> resultrange

[2] $B$2:$B$6 >> testrange

[3] "qad" >> test (more precisely: equality test)

[4] ROW($B$2:$B$6)-ROW($B$2)+1 = ROW($B$2:$B$6)-ROW(INDEX($B$2:$B$6,1,1))+1 >> ROW(testrange)-ROW(INDEX(testrange,1,1))+1

The [4] means an array of integers startin at 1 going up to the size of the testrange. For our example, this would give us {1;2;3;4;5}, the relative row numbers. ROW returns the native row numbers of the range it's fed with. ROW($B$2:$B$6)-ROW($B$2)+1 makes them relative.

[5] $E$2:E2, which grows when copied down to $E$2:E3, $E$2:E4, etc. >> expandingimplementationrange. Applyin ROWS to this, we get 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, the progressive size of the range. These numbers serve as k of SMALL(array, k).

This translates as: get me from [4] the first smallest relative row number, the second smallest relative row number

So INDEX/SMALL formula says effectively: Hey SMALL fed INDEX with the next relative row number; hey INDEX return a the result from resultrange from that relative row position.

Hope this helps.

Feed INDEX with row numbers one by one which obtain when testrange=test, i.e. $B$2:$B$6="qad"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back