New to VBA and needing some help pls

vonsnapper

So I'm trying to write some code that would allow a person to select an item off a list and then excel will automatically copy the contents of the selected cell and the adjacent cell (which contains the supply code for the item) and then automatically paste them into two new cells. This will allow me build a smaller list of things (from the large list) that I want to order for work. If I don't use the code in Bold it will automatically select both cell I click on plus the adjacent one and copy them. It will not paste them however and I must do it manually (which is much better then typing the list every week) however it would be even better if excel would automatically paste them as well. If I add the code in bold...well I had to shut excel down and restart it froze things up so bad. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
If IsEmpty(Target) Or Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With ActiveCell
Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1)).Select
Range(Cells(.Row, .CurrentRegion.Column), _
Cells(.Row, .CurrentRegion.Columns.Count + .CurrentRegion.Column - 1)) _
.Interior.Color = vbCyan And Selection.Copy

Range("J5").Select
If IsEmpty(Target) Then
ActiveSheet.Paste
Else
Target.Offset(1, 0) = ActiveSheet.Paste
End If
<strike style="background-attachment: scroll; background-clip: border-box; background-color: transparent; background-image: none; background-origin: padding-box; background-position-x: 0%; background-position-y: 0%; background-repeat: repeat; background-size: auto; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; text-align: left; text-decoration: line-through; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"></strike>

End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

<strike></strike>

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Your code is triggered each time a cell is selected which causes it to run endlessly giving the appearance of freezing up. To avoid this you must disable events (specifically, disable the SelectionChange event). You can do this using the command:
Application.EnableEvents = False

placed before the first line that selects and adding

Application.EnableEvents = True

after all the selecting is completed.

Note that your code could be written in a way that avoids selecting altogether, but being new to VBA you might want to tackle that later.

Upvote 0
Where on your sheet will you be wanting to copy this data from?
And where do you want it pasted?

You said:
select an item off a list and then excel will automatically copy the contents of the selected cell and the adjacent cell (which contains the supply code for the item) and then automatically paste them into two new cells.

But you did not say where the list is. And what does adjacent cell me?
Do you mean cell to right left top or bottom

And then you said:
and then automatically paste them into two new cells.

What new cells?

We need specific details like column numbers and sheet names.

Upvote 0
Your code is triggered each time a cell is selected which causes it to run endlessly giving the appearance of freezing up. To avoid this you must disable events (specifically, disable the SelectionChange event). You can do this using the command:
Application.EnableEvents = False

placed before the first line that selects and adding

Application.EnableEvents = True

after all the selecting is completed.

Note that your code could be written in a way that avoids selecting altogether, but being new to VBA you might want to tackle that later.

Thank you Joe I inserted the code as you said and excel no longer "breaks". Still doesn't do quite what I want but I will continue to tinker. Much appreciated.

Knowledge is power, Power provides information; Information leads to education, education breeds wisdom, wisdom is liberation...might be a bit till I'm free; but I will keep fighting.

Upvote 0
Where on your sheet will you be wanting to copy this data from?
And where do you want it pasted?

You said:
select an item off a list and then excel will automatically copy the contents of the selected cell and the adjacent cell (which contains the supply code for the item) and then automatically paste them into two new cells.

But you did not say where the list is. And what does adjacent cell me?
Do you mean cell to right left top or bottom

And then you said:
and then automatically paste them into two new cells.

What new cells?

We need specific details like column numbers and sheet names.

First Id like to thank you for responding.

Secondly,

Currently the "Item column" starts in cell E5 and goes to E10. The "Item Code" column fills adjacent cells F5 to F10. The large list will get bigger. I'm currently just getting everything to work.
The way the current code works it will copy any cell I click on (that is not empty) and also automatically selects the cell to the right (This works fine). I would like it to paste the "ITEM" into J5 and then the "ITEM CODE" into K5. I understand that once I get the code to work I will have to give it some parameters so that if a person accidently clicks on a cell that is not empty but not part of the large list; it will not paste unwanted information into smaller list I'm building. Also it will paste the first selection I make into J5/K5 and then stops there.

Knowledge is power, Power provides information; Information leads to education, education breeds wisdom, wisdom is liberation...might be a bit till I'm free; but I will keep fighting.

Upvote 0
You said:
Currently the "Item column" starts in cell E5

Then you said:

The "Item Code" column

What column is the
"Item Code" column ?

Upvote 0
You said:
Currently the "Item column" starts in cell E5

Then you said:

The "Item Code" column

What column is the
"Item Code" column ?

LARGE LISTLIST I WANT TO BUILD
ITEMSupply CodeITEM SUPPLY CODE
Sunlight65464665A
Bolt234423A
Nut545454C
Whiskey45645D
Washer465464A
Box of Rags645455D
Stuff One4582468d
Stuff Two554464d
Hammer6546463a
Wrench798793a
Pipe Wrench654331f
Good Floorhand465464564A
Nylon Rope64654654D
Sash Cord466544A
Beer564564F
Wrench46546545V

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

So the list I'm picking off is E5:E10 (Item column). When I select a cell in the E5:E10 Range, it automatically copies that cell and the adjacent cell to the right F5:F10 (Item Code Column).
I would like the items I pick (by selecting a cell between E5:E10) to be automatically copied and pasted into the new list (list I want to build, starting at cells J5:K5) and then proceeding down from there as a person picks more items off the large list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back