New "WHATIF" scenario function / macro

Kelvin Stott

Hi,

I would like to create a macro to define a new Excel function as follows:

=WHATIF(output_ref, input_ref, input_value)

The function would calculate the result of a given output cell on changing a specific input cell to an alternative value, for example:

A1 = 10
A2 = 20
A3 = A1+A2 = 30
A4 = WHATIF(A3,A1,5) = 25

In other words, the "WHATIF" function would calculate the result of the formula in output_cell in the scenario where input_cell is changed to input_value.

Does anybody know if this function already exists, or can anybody suggest suitable VBA code to define it?

Unfortunately none of the built-in tools (goal seek, data tables, scenarios, etc.) do the job because I would like to copy this "WHATIF" formula (with or without $ anchors) over a large array of cells.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Kind regards,
Kelvin <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

I'm still struggling with this, but had a thought which might help:

Would it be possible to define the function to automatically refresh/recalculate the entire sheet and output cell after replacing an indirect input reference with a given value? However it must somehow do this in the background without actually changing the original input value.

I consider myself quite strong in Excel, but I don't know any VBA (I usually try to avoid macros altogether) and I don't see any other way. It would be one very powerful function indeed, if it can be done...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
OK, thanks.

In the meantime, I think I've come up with a workaround, by creating a table where the column input variable points to different input cell references (which already includes each substitution), rather than alternative substitution values for a single input cell.

I'll post an update on the result...

In the meantime, thanks for all your help. At the very least you saved me a lot of time by making it clear what a function can and can't do. :)

Cheers,
Kelvin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back