Non working Hyperlinks when results returned from another sheet

dave6726

Board Regular
I have the following problem.
Sheet 2 has a list of names and hyperlinks to other sheets (hyperlinks work)
On sheet one I have created an” Index - Small” formula that searches sheet2 and brings back the results on sheet1
=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$497,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$497=Sheet2!$A$2,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$497)),ROW(2:2))-1,2)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$497,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$497=$G$9,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$497)),ROW(2:2))-1,2))

However, I also want to bring the hyperlinks results from sheet2. I have used the following.
=HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(G12, Sheet2!$D$2:$E$10,2,0)) - (name in col D and hyperlink in col E)

My problem is that although the results show as a hyperlink on sheet1, the hyperlinks do not work from sheet1 and I am getting an error message saying “Cannot open the specified file”.

As I said the hyperlink works on sheet2 but not from sheet1 when I pull the results back.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, you can try this:

=HYPERLINK("#'"&VLOOKUP(G12, Sheet2!$D$2:$E$10,2,0)&"'!A1",VLOOKUP(G12, Sheet2!$D$2:$E$10,2,0))

Thank you for your quick response

I have tried the above. I still get what looks like the hyperlink returning, however I am now receiving a "Reference is not valid" result.
Hovering now gives me: #'name'!A1 - Click once to follow. Click and hold to select this cell.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
If you just put this in a spare cell:

=VLOOKUP(G12, Sheet2!$D$2:$E$10,2,0)

Does it return the name of the sheet that you want to link to? What version of Excel are you using?

Upvote 0
Yes it does

Then I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. Can you remove all data not relevant to the hyperlinks and upload a copy of your workbook to a file sharing site, like dropbox, and share the link here so we can take a look.

Upvote 0
Hi, you didn't implement the suggestion accurately.

See additions that you need in large red font:

=HYPERLINK("#'"&VLOOKUP(G12,Data!D2:E10,2,0)&"'!A1")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, you didn't implement the suggestion accurately.

See additions that you need in large red font:

=HYPERLINK("#'"&VLOOKUP(G12,Data!D2:E10,2,0)&"'!A1")

FormR = This is much appreciated - Thank you very much for your help. I will now endeavour to work on the rest of it. Once again Thank You

Dave

Upvote 0
Taking this one step further. Thanks to the advice already given, which is much appreciated, I can now get all the hyperlinks in the cells that I require.

However, the hyperlinks return in the format of: #'Fred'A2
Fred being the actual name of the worksheet. This is great, but I was wondering if there is a way of tidying it up? i.e. Just to show FRED, but for the hyperlink to still work.

I have tried various ways, but unsuccessful.

Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back