Open File If MAC Address Matches With That Mentioned In The Code

hrayani

Hello Friends,

Is it possible to Open a file only for specific computers.

A VBA code for let’s say 3 MAC Addresses is linked with Workbook Open Event & the file should open for those 3 computers who’s MAC Addresses are there in the code - otherwise a msg box should prompt saying that you are not allowed to open the file.

Regards,

Humayun

Rijnsent

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi Humayun,
you can cover that with some VBA, but a skilled person could circumvent that protection.
You can us the Workbook_Open() sub to run some code on opening that excel. In that module you can e.g. use this code to get the MAC address: https://excelhub.org/mac-address-lookup-in-excel-vba-code/ and match it with your list. Having said that, if the user simply refuses to run macros, the workbook wil open, but that protection won't work. I guess an easier way is to simply password-protect the file and give the users that password (but there are online a couple of excel-password crackers out there).
Hope that helps a bit,
Koen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farlow

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...