Password protecting a MACRO which then copies/ pastes data from another workbook

MatthewOliver

Morning (or afternoon or evening),

If someone could help this one it would really help me out.

I have a Workbook which has a button 'Update' on a worksheet called "Front". Ideally when the 'Update' button is pressed I would like the user to be requested to input a password. If not correct they could still view the workbook but not update it.

If the password is correct I would ideally like the Macro to open up two other workbooks called "Book 1" and "Book 2" both located in the folder C:\Mydocuments\Database\Data" and copy data from worksheets contained within.

For "Book 1" the worksheet is "Sheet 1". The Range is A2:M200 (but if you can copy the whole worksheet this would work)
For "Book 2" the worksheet is "Data". The range is the same as above and ok again if it's the whole worksheet.

If possible I would like the macro to shut down "Book 1" and "Book 2" and paste the data into the active workbook (named: Database). The pasting location in the active workbook is "Sheet 9" & "Sheet 10" (doesn't matter which one contains which).

Fingers crossed this makes sense and thank you to anyone who can help me out! :biggrin:

Matthew

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi,
Welcome to forum
If users are opening your workbook over a corporate network then I would suggest that you avoid passwords & just use network usernames to make your copy button visible to valid users only.

To Achive this you would:

• add a sheet & name it Users
  • In column A enter all valid network usernames

Hide the sheet when done

Add following codes

In ThisWorkBook code page

Rich (BB code):
 Private Sub Workbook_Open()    
    Worksheets("Front").CommandButton1.Visible = IsValidUser
End Sub

In STANDARD module

Rich (BB code):
 Function IsValidUser() As Boolean    
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Users")
    IsValidUser = Not IsError(Application.Match(Environ("Username"), ws.Columns(1), False))
End Function

When your workbook opens your CommandButton on Sheet Front should only be visible to those users on your list.

Change commandbutton name shown in RED if required.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cheers for the reply Dave!

Nope unfortunately the names of the people who will be accessing will not be fully known. It'll pretty much be open to anyone who has access to the system but can only be Updated by a few............. if that makes sense??

Upvote 0
Cheers for the reply Dave!

Nope unfortunately the names of the people who will be accessing will not be fully known. It'll pretty much be open to anyone who has access to the system but can only be Updated by a few............. if that makes sense??

I take it that the few that can update the data are known? then if so, suggestion should work - you need only to enter those that update the data network username in to the list & your copy button will only be visible for them. All other users will not see it.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back