Paste Formula Issue

The Animal

Hi
I am copying A4:BK4 that contains a combination of plain data cells and formula and I am pasting to A34:BK37 by selecting this full range of cells and "Pasting Formula" only.
The formula are pasting ok but so is all the data from A4:BK4 and not just the formula as I require and just leaving the original data in A34:A37
Have I got a setting wrong or am I using the wrong process.
VERY frustrating
Thanks Stephen

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Top of my head the way to do it if you want the results on the same rows would be to do a straightforward copy/paste then select the new data, do a Ctrl-G, click Special, check Constants and click OK, right click and clear contents.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much but that does not leave my original data and still pastes all data from A4:BK4 as well as formulas

Upvote 0
How does copying your original data to a new location not leave the original data in the original location? if you are talking about the formulas adjusting in the new location then make your columns absolute in your formula.

still pastes all data from A4:BK4 as well as formulas
The Ctrl-G, click Special, check Constants and click OK, right click and clear contents clears anything that isn't a formula from the new location.

Column A below = data, column C below = data being copied, column D below = end result.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
Sheet2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks.
The original location is fine and data remains A4:BK4
Its the destination that is the problem as data from the destination cells A4:BK4 overwrites current data in A34:BK37 along with formula even if I just cut and paste formula only.

Upvote 0
AFAIK if you copy a range of cells manually then it will always automatically overwrite any data in the entire range you are pasting to.

The only way I can think of to do what you want is to use VBA.

BTW, your copy and destination ranges in your last post are not the same size :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back