Pivot Table - Prevent Calculation

Daroh

Board Regular
Hi, is it possible to get a pivot table to display a text value (persons name) multiple times?

For example, I enter a persons name, 'John Smith', and a number '225588'. If John smith or another John smith information is entered again the pivot table automatically combines the name as one, John Smith 451,176. Is it possible, to prevent this? As each person name and number will be entered numerous of times throughout the year. Thanks for any help/advise.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
is that what you want?

repeatlabelsinpivot.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes... but conditional.
In the Pivot Table, Values that are the same will be grouped together. So if two people share the same name, then the "name" is not as good as a ID number, since ID numbers should be unique for each person.
So if the ID number is listed before the Name in the ROWS of the Pivot Table, you are generally better off.

You can also combine the two values for a Pivot Field. You can do this with a Table formula our in the Get-n-Transform (formerly Power Query) step, or in the PowerPivot side. This gives the uniqueness provided by ID number with the more meaningful name.

Upvote 0
I am still stuck..

The client will always have the same same client number and this number may be entered various times.

I want to display this customers name and number individually and not to be combined or calculated by the pivot table. Is this possible?

Currently, I have a pivot table displaying the clients name and number, but if the same name is entered, excel is combining the name and number.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
one of few main features of PivotTable is grouping and calculating so..... don't use PivotTable

Upvote 0
I am still stuck..

The client will always have the same same client number and this number may be entered various times.

I want to display this customers name and number individually and not to be combined or calculated by the pivot table. Is this possible?

Currently, I have a pivot table displaying the clients name and number, but if the same name is entered, excel is combining the name and number.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are letting Excel determine where this ID goes in the Pivot table instead of putting it where you want it to go. If you click the box next to the item in the list of fields and that field is all numbers, it will always go to the VALUES area. If the number represents an ID reference and stored as a number, you must drag it to the ROWS area.

I

Upvote 0
It would really help if you gave some sample data so that exactly what you want is clear.

If what you want can be clearly explained, then most likely someone can help achieve the result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burk0007

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back