Populating 35 Combobox Controls (Requesting Advice)

jtrombley24

I'm wondering what others might suggest for a project I'm working on.

Quick project summary: I'm working on an Excel Front-End (Spreadsheet, Forms, VBA - the whole thing) with an Access database.

The main form has a multipage control with about 35 total comboboxes. My question is related to how to best populate them:

The original file that I received (from the group that is requesting the 'automation') had a bunch of validation lists set up on a separate tab from their main data tab. As I was designing the form, my initial thought was to just use these lists to populate my comboboxes (with the .rowsource property). I set it up and it worked well - in fact really well in the form_initialize event.

As I thought about it, the .rowsource code is vulnerable because the end users could add or insert columns, thus completely destroying each combobox .rowsource 'binding'.

So I thought about going the ADO route (and in fact wrote the code for it - and it works well for a couple of the comboboxes I tested). The problem here is that I DON'T want 35 separate tables to manage in the database. I can put the lists in one table with 35 fields, but then this is tough to manage since each row is unrelated.

What do you all think!?

Thanks,
Jim

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bergy32204

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back