Precursor to VBA Macros

Shackleton

Apologies if something similar to this has been answered before.

At my work there is an excel file that we use most days that when it is opened automatically opens another workbook. However when I look at the VBA for the ThisWookbook object in VBA editor there is no code at all let alone anything triggered by the Workbook_Open event and there doesn't seem to be any code in any of the sheet objects or modules that would explain the file opening. I have asked around the department and the excel file is at least 20 years old and this makes me wonder whether there is some pre-VBA code (or at least code that doesn't display in the VBA editor) that is attached to the file. Would anyone be able to tell me whether my suspicion could be correct and if so is there is now any way to view and edit this code (I would like to stop the second file from opening as it has become largely redundant)?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I should have mentioned that the second excel file seems to contain macros that are stored in vertical columns of one of the sheets with each cell loosely corresponding to a line of code in VBA which adds to my thought that this is some form of VBA precursor.

Upvote 0
Thank you Mark858,

Those were just the pointers I needed. Seems the auto open was accomplished through a defined name function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back