Problem Copying Conditional Formatting Across a Range of Cells

ndbennett

I have a dashboard that specifies this month's income from various stores and also the previous month's income, each store having its own row. I want to include a traffic light in the cell for this month that turns green if this month's income is equal to or greater than the previous months * growth factor, else it is red.

In my example, this month's income from my first store is in cell B9, last month's in cell C9 and the growth factor for all stores (as a percentage) in C4.

On an individual line (taking row 9 as an example), the following Conditional Formatting works:

Green if B9>=$C$9*(1+$C$4)

But I have about 200 stores I want to compare so I tried to copy and paste the formatting, but the $ around C9 meant that all the subsequent stores were referencing C9 rather than their own prior month's data.

If I try to remove the $ from C9, I get the following message:

You cannot use relative references in Conditional Formatting criteria for color scales, data bars and icon sets.

I don't want to go through it line by line and manually change the Conditional Formatting for each store - is there an easy way to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thanks.​

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
How exactly are you applying the conditional formatting?

Upvote 0
How exactly are you applying the conditional formatting?

This month's and the previous month's actual income values are picked up from a pivot table using an HLOOKUP expression.

In this month's cell I am using the standard means of entering Conditional Formatting: Home / Conditional Formatting / Icon Sets with the rule 'Format all cells based on their values'

That works OK for the top row so then I drag that row down the spreadsheet to catch all the subsequent pivot table values. All the values appear correctly with the correct values, just the conditional formatting is not following the cells as I drag them down.

It makes sense in a way - the $ round C9 locks on to that cell, I presume. It is just that I cannot find a way to apply the conditional formatting I want without the $.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back