Protect worksheet from formula referencing

nlroberts3

I'm managing a workbook that includes payroll information, which contains confidential information like hourly wages. Each payperiod I reset the workbook and advance the calendar dates so my assistant can enter in the hours worked for each employee. Each employee has their own worksheet. All the wages and totals are on a separate worksheet at the end of the workbook called "Totals". To secure the worksheet so it cannot be viewed by my assistant I hide the worksheet and protect the workbook to prevent the structure from being changed. This way my assistant cannot "unhide" the "Totals" worksheet and see the hourly wages.
At this point I thought everything was grand, but today I opened the payroll workbook (while protected) and opened up the VBA IDE and noticed that I was able to see a list of all the worksheets in the "tree" displaying all the workbook objects, including my hidden "Totals" worksheet.

From here I know the file name and the worksheet name. This is a problem. I could open up a blank workbook (or use an existing worksheet***) and then in cell A1 of that new sheet I can reference cell A1 of my confidential worksheet.... ='[Payroll Workbook.xlsx]Totals'!A1
Then I can copy and paste that formula through the blank worksheet.
At this point I have effectively duplicated the confidential data from a hidden worksheet and a protected workbook to a new workbook. I can clearly see column headers with Employee names and hourly wages.

Let me know if I can define my problem more clearly. This is my first time ever posting something on a forum because I can normally figure it out or find it already answered, but this has me stumped

Thank you!

*** I can somewhat prevent this by restricting editing to only certain cells needed to enter employee hours which limits the window of data someone can view at one time, but to go even further I can then use data validation to prevent the use of formulas in in the cells. I'm not sure I can protect a sheet to prevent changing data validation while also allowing cells to be edited, though.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I just figured it out.
I can hide the Project Properties in the VBA Project Explorer and secure it with a password by going to Tools->VBAProject Properties->Protection and giving it a password.
This way if someone upen the VBA IDE the project tree is minimized, and to expand it you must use a password.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back